• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Control your digital software and rig with an iPad

KS4JU

Mar 28, 2011
www.hamradioscience.com
There have been several posts here asking about using your PSK31 software or other Amateur Radio related software with an iPad. I put together an article at Ham Radio Science that describes an easy method for doing this. It relies on using the Air Display app to allow you to use your iPad as a touchscreen controller in conjunction with your PC. If you have a rig controlled by your PC, you can also use the iPad as a touchscreen enabled controller for it.

It might be useful to know that this will work on any iPad. If you have been looking for an excuse to buy an iPad now you have one.(y)

You may want to take a look at the Apple refurbished store. They often have the generation 1 iPads for $350. If you haven't bought an Apple refurbished product they are usually excellent with roughly the same warranty as a new item.

I did the same basic thing using a Smartphone over the internet. You need a smartphone with Skype and then enable the Web based control for HRD. All you need to use is the browser in your smartphone to control the rig and skype to talk. You can also do this (without touchscreen) with any notebook.

I'm sure there are other enterprising ways that people can think of to do something similar? This is a fun topic!

Well I tried it on my 1st generation ipad and it works really well. When it first started it was a little sluggish but that went away after about 60 seconds. Smooth and steady there after. (y) I LIKE IT!:love:

Network speed will play a big factor. It is best if you have a wireless N network. I think that a G network will work ok if you have good throughput. G can be a bit finicky at times depending on range and what may be interfering. Since N is faster, you do not lose as much speed with distance or interference.

Wireless N is definately the way to go. It is what I use and I can control my computer from anywhere around my house now. It is slick.(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.