• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Convince me to keep my HR2600

A

ajw2685

Ok, I just purchased a HR2600 and now I am looking to sell it do to job problems. :( I stumbled across this forum and I am glad I did. There seems to be an absolute wealth of knowledge here unlike any other forum I have seen for radios and friendly people. Anyhow, I have this HR2600 in about 9/10 condition and it is unmolested. I have contacted Doc about modding it with a 2510 chip just so I can have 11 meters. I am worried about a few things though.

1. How reliable is the screen in terms of not burning out?
2. When it is converted with the 2510 chip, will it display the actual correct 11 meter frequency and not still say 28.xxx or 29.xxx but actually be on 27.xxx?
3. Are people really working the US on 50 watts SSB from this radio?

I only gave $150 and I am trying to sell it for $130 because I might be needing the money soon due to a wonderful job situation. The problem is I have discovered just what a prize I have and what it can be and really don't want to let it slip away.

HR2600

Well you paid the right price, I would never go any higher, average around here is around $130.
After the chip switch is in it will tune the cb bands and ten meters.
Yes you can work the country on 50 watts and better next year when the sun spots are back.
The modulation is great, and the radio is rock stable.

Make sure when having the chip put in they do the following
AM power adjustment, and open up the clarifier also.

After conversion they also tune the secondary frequency ex chnl 15..27.145 etc....

DOCTOR/795 :shock:

keep it cause ya found a rare gem.being its not
all buggered up.ya got a fair deal on it.i got an old 2510
thats only been modded for 11 meters and unlocked the
clarifer i like it.only downfall is the nb seems nonfunctional :(

You dont need to do the chipswitch to get the CB Channels. I have three 2510s (pretty much the same thing) and two of em come from doc, one is chipswitched - he really knwos his Stuff!

Ive had mine for 4 years now, no issues with the display - the light did go out, so I put in a blue one..

The display reads the actual freq. not 26.xxxx or anything like that.

These are great Radios... Hopefully you can hang onto yours!

The radio when properly tuned will be rock solid on frequency unlike some other radios that drift. When Doc tunes these radios he tunes them as if they were his own personnel radio. He will unlock the clarifier, do the AM power, he will put the 2510 chip in it and you will have 10-11 and 12 meters. Actual frequency will be displayed so you will need to know what channel you will be on if you are on 1-40 AM but, that is not a problem. I can get you the channel frequencies or just look them up on the internet. You have a great radio there. It is good on AM and one of the best on SSB. the display is a little slow if left in a car during the winter but will warm up quickly. The display wont burn out but the bulb may eventually which is an easy fix. Yoy will talk all over the world on 50 watts or less on SSB once the solar cycle pics up. I have talked all over the world on mine with less than 50 watts. I would try to find a way to come up with the money like side jobs, part time work etc... before I sold it, not that I'm telling you what to do. I have about$275.00 invested in my radio and have never regreted it. I have been using the President brand radios for over 20 years and have never been disappointed. Good luck on what ever you decide.

The HR 2600 is a fine radio, awesome on Ten meters. If you want to convert, putting a CPU(chip) from a 2510 will work just fine, you will lose the +/- offsets for FM repeaters. Frequency will still read properly. The Chip from a 2510 or a Lincoln will give you 26.000 to 29.699.
A ChipSwitch will give you 10/11/12 meters, and a bunch of other features.
If you want to do a very low budget conversion, you can swap a crystal in the radio to shift it down 2 Mhz, ie 28.000 will really be 26.000, but in that case only, the frequency display will be off.
I have a Lincoln, a HR 2510, and a HR 2600( the 2600 is bone stock, and I use it on Ten Meters)and All of them have given me very good service. Also Rogerbird here on the forum does great work on these as well.
He can be reached at
Rogerbird1@netscape.net
And you can see his page here

rogerbird.tripod.com/

I love my Hr Radios.

Jeff

You said a 2510 chip will give me 26.000 to 26.999? It won't give me the whole 11 meters 26.965-27.405? I spoke to some lady at Doc's (I presume his wife, who was super helpful by the way) who relayed information from him to me and she said the 2510 chip would give me 11 meters.

AudioShockwav said:
26.000 to 29.699, not 26.699, but 29.699 Mhz, including ALL of 27 Mhz.
29.699 is the upper limit to ten meters.

Jeff

I'm sorry, hookkd onn fonixx didd nott werrk furr mee. I thought the 9 was a 6.

AudioShockwav said:
The HR 2600 is a fine radio, awesome on Ten meters. If you want to convert, putting a CPU(chip) from a 2510 will work just fine, you will lose the +/- offsets for FM repeaters. Frequency will still read properly. The Chip from a 2510 or a Lincoln will give you 26.000 to 29.699.
A ChipSwitch will give you 10/11/12 meters, and a bunch of other features.
If you want to do a very low budget conversion, you can swap a crystal in the radio to shift it down 2 Mhz, ie 28.000 will really be 26.000, but in that case only, the frequency display will be off.
I have a Lincoln, a HR 2510, and a HR 2600( the 2600 is bone stock, and I use it on Ten Meters)and All of them have given me very good service. Also Rogerbird here on the forum does great work on these as well.
He can be reached at
Rogerbird1@netscape.net
And you can see his page here

rogerbird.tripod.com/

I love my Hr Radios.

Jeff

Jeffs right, send it to rogerbird. sent my dead non TX 2510, he replaced the finals retuned it and works like a champ. rock solid loud

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.