1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

corrosion/oxidation between aluminum and galvanized steel ?

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by BOOTY MONSTER, Jan 27, 2011.

1. i know copper and aluminum will have issues when touching each other . but what about aluminum and galvanized steel/conduit/mast ? will one eat at the other or cause corrosion ?

thanks .

2. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

A lot of dissimilar metals can cause corrosion, and zinc chromate is generally the cure. But since galvanized steel is zinc plated, I don't know really, lol, did that help?

3. itx

itx Member

The zinc will corrode into a white powder over time. It will protect the steel as it does this but you really should isolate the aluminum and steel with some sort of insulator.

Galvanic corrosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. NY739 Mobile

NY739 Mobile Member

Ive found in my own experences that there is not much effect with the two in contact but it depends on different factors, hardware , location, etc.....here is a link that might be usefull...
    Dissimilar Metals in Contact with Hot-Dip Galvanized Steel

5. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

If you are joining these two metals together to make a permanent RF connection you might consider soldering them together. Muggy Weld makes a special 350 degree low temperature solder called Super Alloy 1. It will cleanly join almost any types of metal together that you can think of. What was once impossible to solder, is now easy.

6. thanks for the replies folks .

itx , according to Wikipedia there could be a problem .
    379 , according to the AGA i should be OK .

................... thats if im understanding things correctly .

Attached Files: