• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CQ100 - Virtual Ham Radio

kc2spx

Hi all,

Here's an Interesting program some of you might be interested in. It's called, CQ100. It's a "virtual" world of amateur radio. It's completely INTERNET based. This can come in handy when the "real" bands are crappy or, to talk to stations you don't normally hear. Check out the members list, there are thousands all over the world already using it. You have 90 days to evaluate. After which, it's 32 bucks a year. I just tried it for the first time last night. I'm not going to scrap my ham gear over it, but it has it's niche.

Like Echolink, you have to be a licensed ham. When you register, they send you a link to download your virtual transceiver, you are also required to email a copy of your license before you can log on and use it, usually takes 2 or 3 hours to verify.

Very realistic!!! Right down to the artificial QRN, which you can squelch out. The audio is crystal clear, very clean.

Check it out,

QsoNet - Virtual Ionosphere For Amateur Radio

Dave(y)

Or, how bout the ol' message in the bottle? LOL! Anyways, I think it's a cool little program. It's not for everybody, but it might a nice option when the bands aren't doing so well, or may be an ideal solution for those hams who couldn't otherwise enjoy the hobby due to restrictions such as.. no space to erect an antenna, financial, or whatever. One thing I like is the call sign of the person(s) keying is displayed. if you want to look them up, just click on their call.

Like I said it's not for everybody. Personally, I just think of it as just another mode to talk to other hams.

Dave

I have to agree with you, 'they' would certainly be enjoying -a- hobby, but it wouldn't be a radio hobby. I guess it's nice if you like radio oriented chat-rooms. Enjoy to your hearts content!
- 'Doc

I subscribe to CQ100 and like the fact that I can use it when not near my radio. I also like the new addition of CQTV for sending pictures. Coupled with my Echolink, I can enjoy HAM radio when away or from here in Iraq. I realize it isn't the real thing but adequate in it's self. Enjoy it for what it is.

I have to agree with you, 'they' would certainly be enjoying -a- hobby, but it wouldn't be a radio hobby. I guess it's nice if you like radio oriented chat-rooms. Enjoy to your hearts content!
- 'Doc

I totally agree Doc, It isn't radio but, these are real hams. and someday when propagation gets better, I hope to talk with some of them on the real thing.

Dave

I subscribe to CQ100 and like the fact that I can use it when not near my radio. I also like the new addition of CQTV for sending pictures. Coupled with my Echolink, I can enjoy HAM radio when away or from here in Iraq. I realize it isn't the real thing but adequate in it's self. Enjoy it for what it is.

I think that's Great! If I see you on, I'll key up and say hello!

Dave

CQ100

I have had it for a couple years, its is fun and works great if you have a laptop and on a trip , vacation etc., you can still get on the radio.

I also use hamsphere.com, it seems a lot of hams on this one also, about the same set up, both a lot of fun and hamsphere at the present is free..

DOCTOR/795

LOOONG time ago, before there were PCs or Macs, there were "Commodore 64" and "Commodore 128". Some wonderful ham wrote a program called "Doctor DX" which ran on these.

At the start of a Doctor DX session, you were asked a few questions: your call sign, your latitude/longitude and the time of day. Your "rig" was CW only, with selectable power of 1, 10 or 100 watts. The antenna was a vertical with a very good ground plane. Good propagation was the default. Then the fun began.

It was preprogrammed with lots of call signs, and you'd hear "stations" "working" one another, giving RST and sequential serial numbers, just like in a real DX contest. If you called one of the stations, the computer determined whether propagation was in your favor for the time of day and frequency (you could "operate" on any HF band). Generally, the "station" would call you back and give you a report! If you tried to work the same station a few minutes (or hours) later on the same band, he'd send your call and say "dupe" or "B4" to let you know. You might run into that station on another band, and there would be no problem.

Don't believe "DoctorDX" was ever rewritten for Windows or Mac - and that's truly a shame. It was a fun program.

Thanks Doctor, I'll check it out!!

Hey Beetle, I don't recall the program, But it sounds like alot of fun!!
I still have my old home computers packed away somewhere. I dig them out from time to time just for the nostalgia. I have The Commodore 64 and 128.
Plus the Texas Instruments TI-99/4a and the Atari 800XL. Those were the days!!
73, Dave

QsoNet

Yes, I realize this is an old thread!

Just learned about this elsewhere, only in about the 3rd day of my free trial & fully expect to sign up at the end! I think it's neater than hell!

I happen to live in an apartment so I'm very limited in my radio activity, this really adds to my fun! I totally agree with kc2spx who said he just looks at it as another mode.

Highly recommend all of you to try it out if you haven't already.

Geoff S.

cq 100

It isn't bad for those who have restrictions or not allowed antennas etc., try 14.260 intl dx net 10 to noon or 3580 in the evenings, also 7200 some AMERICANS on from the THAILAND area, who can't get a countries licensed for some unknown reason etc.

It beats no hamming at all.

DOCTOR/795

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.