• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE-8900 And Beyond:Ongoing Discussions

This radio is not worth buying until the defects are addressed.

What radio would you recommend for all around performance and value seriously?

P.S. I noticed on the programming software that there is something about squelch break time or something like that. I'm have to hook my 8900 up to my PC and look at it again just to be sure. You can set the time it takes to unkey?
I've noticed that on my 959 I can unkey rapidly and thus do multiple roger beeps in rapid fire succession where as in the case of the 8900 I can't do that. It won't let me do rapid fire roger beeps. I'm saying this because hopefully I can reduce the unkeying time in the programming software and maybe that will affect the CW part as well. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Yes I know the story well. I was following it cause I was looking to get an 8900 but it just didn't cut the mustard for me. By the sounds of it you have found an adjustment in the software for squelch break (which I believe is different to CW break in) but as I said, give it a go and let us know how it goes

Browning 15 amp noise filter

Okay. I installed my Browning 15 AMP noise filter in my mobile to try and cut out the A/C condenser fan noise and windshield wiper noise. Thus filter didn't help at all. I followed a suggestion from another thread about disconnecting the antenna coax from the radio and see if the noise stops. With antenna coax disconnected,the radio(CRE-8900) is perfectly quiet with engine running,A/C and condenser fan turned on and wipers on. I hook the antenna coax back up to the radio and the noise reappears with said things turned on. So, the antenna is picking up the noise. All the more reason to move the antenna towards the rear of the car. Note:The radio's case is grounded at the same point as the radio's ground which is the front seat hold down bolt. Anybody know what to use at the A/C condenser fan? I'll do a search too thanks

P.S. The voltage drops an additional volt when I had the filter hooked up. :glare:

Here's a YouTube upload I did for it
CRE-8900 & A/C Condenser Fan/Wiper Motor noise - YouTube

P.S. I could plug my iPhone to my car's stereo system auxiliary input jack and look at what frequencies these noises are at by using my radio's spectrum analyzer. Hmmm

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.