• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cw help

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
made a keyer for the 7000, i found the settings for a lot of stuff on CW but when i hold the key down it beeps on in off i need it to be a solid tone so i can do the dashes in letters. any ideas?:D

You made a keyer or a key?
Refer to page 11 of the manual for wiring up a straight key vs. an Iambic paddle.
In the CW menu, set option 5 to straight key. Also make sure break-in is set to full, or semi and not off.

You made a keyer or a key?
Refer to the manual for wiring up a straight key vs. an Iambic paddle.
In the CW menu, set option 5 to straight key. Also make sure break-in is set to full, or semi and not off.

These are the only two settings i found and this is while holding the key down without letting go.

Attachments

• CW key settings..mp3
    390.3 KB · Views: 190
Look on page 44 of the manual. Follow the directions on page 50 where it talks about keyer type.

GOT IT! thank you. it was set on bug key...no clue what that is.

i have a large momentary button attached to my wooden desk, that's my ghetto key works just fine. now to find someone to talk to

Also for straight keying, hook the cable from the key to the tip and base. For a set of paddles, the dot (or left paddle) goes to the tip of the plug. The dah (or right paddle) goes to the ring (middle), the common or ground goes to the base.
ALSO, make sue either way you use a stereo plug.

Cool.
I have a key I made out of old relays from a Drake radio years ago. Works as good as any key made.

If I was home brother I'd have a Q wit U!

Also for straight keying, hook the cable from the key to the tip and base. For a set of paddles, the dot (or left paddle) goes to the tip of the plug. The dah (or right paddle) goes to the ring (middle), the common or ground goes to the base.
ALSO, make sue either way you use a stereo plug.

Cool.
I have a key I made out of old relays from a Drake radio years ago. Works as good as any key made.

If I was home brother I'd have a Q wit U!

The first part is the icom doing it for me. there is a break @ 35sec in? and thats when i do it with my key manually. i am probably to slow...lol

Attachments

• my cw test skillz.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 210
Too slow is not trying at all! ;)
Sounds like a great start to me, keep at it and speed will come to you. Practice using good spacing and accuracy, that's the mark of a good CW op not speed.

Reactions: 1 person
Too slow is not trying at all! ;)
Sounds like a great start to me, keep at it and speed will come to you. Practice using good spacing and accuracy, that's the mark of a good CW op not speed.

The spacing is the hard part for me. Been listening to cw on youtube to get a feel and visualization of da & dit

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Jason: Not bad dude!!! I am proud of ya man!;)
A whole new world just opened for you...
Keep it up...Your fine...The speed will come...
Lefty is correct...speed means nothing...spacing will come with practice.
Pick up the newspaper and send that to yourself...
CW has many shortcut words...some of which are used in texting...
ARRL has the "Q" code list in printable version...very helpful...
Only send as fast as you can copy correctly...There are thousands out there waiting to make contacts at your speed now......go for it!

Again Your doing great!...I'll be home all day Sunday drop me a line we'll meet up...
I'll work ya!(y)
Do you need a real straight Key? Let me know...
All the Best
BJ

Not bad, and I've certainly heard worse.
- 'Doc

Its my first time ever even touching cw. Now I want a old school wooden telegraph type key.

How many cw charts are there ? I found two..dont want to learn the wrong code o_O

There are many ways to learn and many people will recommend different ways.

There are a few good free computer programs to learn code. I also like the little MFJ Code Tutors.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/morse/3537.html

The later models have the ability to mimic the Koch Method.

I started learning in 1974 when I was 14. All I had was my dad's old records, a junky straight key and homebrewed oscillator. I listened to W1AW religiously and couldn't wait to grade myself.

I wish they would have had all the aids they do now. At any rate, speed does matter and that speed is character speed. Try to recognize each character sent at a speed of at least 20 wpm. It'll only help you bust the 20-30 wpm wall down the road. At the very least, good old Farnsworth will be adequate. The slower you copy or send will just make you subconsciously count the dits and dahs, instead of recognizing the characters rhythmic sound.

Last edited:
The spacing is the hard part for me. Been listening to cw on youtube to get a feel and visualization of da & dit

Listen on 40M near 7.030 to 7.040, most of the QRP guys that run this part of the band are very good. When I was learning CW I kept a radio glued to 7.040 and was surprised at how fast my code picked up.

As for spacing, for the love of all that's holy work on that. :sad:
I cannot stand to hear an op who runs words together.
Itwouldbeliketryingtoreadabookspacedlikethis. :LOL:

Also, I'm home most evenings, PM me and I'd be happy to work you one evening.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.