• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cw help

I STRONGLY recommend Chuck, K7QO's CW course. GET IT!
Hell I'll loan you a dollar if you need. ;)

"FISTS makes this wonderful course available (V3 is the latest and is MP3 only, you must have an MP3 player or computer to use). To obtain your copy send $1 per disk to cover the postage and envelope and include a label with your address, if possible, to FISTS PO Box 47, Hadley MI 48440."

Don't delay, operators are standing by......

The others have pretty well coverd thing so I'd only add this. Forget about charts for the characters, that's probably one of the worst habits to break, 'picturing' each character. It's all about sound, not seeing the dits-n-dahs (or counting them as was already said).
Then you get into the 'method' of learning CW, Farhnsworth(sp) etc., there are several. The differences deal with timing, the speed each dit/dah is sent and the spacing between each dit/dah and character. That's one of the biggies, that timing. (That was one of the things I noticed in your sending 'clip', and it's also what gives you/everyone a distinctive 'fist'.) When you get that 'timing' or rhythm down, you got it whooped and it's just a matter of doing it faster. It takes time and practice, there's no way around that.
It's hard for me to see written code and to decipher it. I have to change it to sound before it makes any sense to me. That's good, cuz then it's like a spoken language. It's also the end result of a hell of a lot of listening to code, correcting the learning mistakes I make/made, and only -hearing- it instead of seeing it.
It's also fun...
- 'Doc

That ol'fart was sending international Morse code. Not the same as American Morse, like the old railroad telegraphers. Lot's of differences in -sound-, not just the clicking instead of tones.
I grew up around a railroad terminal so listened to a bunch of that clacking. Can't copy it at all, but I can recognize it. Now that's something that really takes rhythm/timing! And I can't do it. :)
- 'Doc

I was up till 2am listening to 7mhz cw.... I am confused because I printed a copy of arrls band plan went kinko's this morning had a 11x17" laminated poster made for 5$. I am looking at the chart it only shows 80m, 40m, 15m, 6m, 2m areas shades with white with black lines is cw for tech here is where it gets confusing people say I can cw anywhere on anyband but only CW except 10,6,2,222,440,900,1.2ghz I can do voice. So where can I or should I start my cw journey?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Your license class determines what bands you have transmitting privileges on, and what portions of that band. Probably the most commonly used portions are on the lower HF bands, 80, 40 and 10 meters.
CW as a mode is legal in any part of any band (except for 60 meters?). That can be confusing, but it amounts to license privileges first, and then where do you hear the most of what you are looking for.
Where would be a good place to start? With learning the code first, naturally! That can mean bazillians of hours practicing, or whatever it takes to get sort of comfortable with it. Part of that practice can certainly be from listening on the air. Then you can think about touching a key. And then, when you get sort of comfortable with using a key (of whatever kind), try the on the air stuff.
Sounds like it'll take a long time? Sure, while you're doing that practicing/learning it always seems like a long time! But believe me, you'll be happy for every second of that practicing later, and it really doesn't take that long (when you look back on it, not while it's going on though).
There are CW practice sites/nets all over and in the oddest places sometimes. I remember one being on IRLP, but no idea what the node number is now. It can't be that hard to find someone to practice with, just takes some looking/listening around.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

Your license class determines what bands you have transmitting privileges on, and what portions of that band. Probably the most commonly used portions are on the lower HF bands, 80, 40 and 10 meters.
CW as a mode is legal in any part of any band (except for 60 meters?). That can be confusing, but it amounts to license privileges first, and then where do you hear the most of what you are looking for.
Where would be a good place to start? With learning the code first, naturally! That can mean bazillians of hours practicing, or whatever it takes to get sort of comfortable with it. Part of that practice can certainly be from listening on the air. Then you can think about touching a key. And then, when you get sort of comfortable with using a key (of whatever kind), try the on the air stuff.
Sounds like it'll take a long time? Sure, while you're doing that practicing/learning it always seems like a long time! But believe me, you'll be happy for every second of that practicing later, and it really doesn't take that long (when you look back on it, not while it's going on though).
There are CW practice sites/nets all over and in the oddest places sometimes. I remember one being on IRLP, but no idea what the node number is now. It can't be that hard to find someone to practice with, just takes some looking/listening around.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

The recent changes in 60 meters now allow CW and other modes besides USB. Still "channelized", but it works.

Cool videos!! Something one realizes when sending QRQ with a staight key
is, that (like the video shows) the key does have to be held down,either
with a clamp or with your left hand. (I clamp my key with my pointer and
middle finger over the heavy base, and thumb down around the edge of my
desk.)

In an attempt to send faster you find yourself pushing and pulling at the
key, about as hard one way as another! After a long rag-chew in excess
of 20some WPM my arm always feels pumped and needs a break...hi...

Some days your fist is near perfect, then the next day its hard to match
the other operators speed. Works best for me not to think about it too
much and just find my rhythm...

Like others have said, never look at printed code characters, it will set
you back when trying to get your speed up. I know, I made that mistake
at one time.

At he bottom of the bands its gets a bit easier hustling DX, most all of the
time just your call on the first go, then 5NN TU

73, Keith

Cool videos!! Something one realizes when sending QRQ with a staight key
is, that (like the video shows) the key does have to be held down,either
with a clamp or with your left hand. (I clamp my key with my pointer and
middle finger over the heavy base, and thumb down around the edge of my
desk.)

In an attempt to send faster you find yourself pushing and pulling at the
key, about as hard one way as another! After a long rag-chew in excess
of 20some WPM my arm always feels pumped and needs a break...hi...

Some days your fist is near perfect, then the next day its hard to match
the other operators speed. Works best for me not to think about it too
much and just find my rhythm...

Like others have said, never look at printed code characters, it will set
you back when trying to get your speed up. I know, I made that mistake
at one time.

At he bottom of the bands its gets a bit easier hustling DX, most all of the
time just your call on the first go, then 5NN TU

73, Keith

What is "5NN TU" ?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

dxChat