• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CW/SSB AMP TUNING ON AM RIG?

Everyone should know? To quote Ralph cramden "my grandmother doesn't know " . Captain. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have the utmost respect for you and you've helped me and many others with simple and to the point answers but I doubt very much that everyone who subscribes to this site knew the answer to my question. Do you seriously think I'm the only person out of all members who didn't know that? I'd bet there are people out here who don't even know what my question was referring to. As I've stated in the past "I probably know less about cb/ham radio equipment and how they work than anyone on this site but, if I don't ask how will I learn. I thought the questions was viable. I was curious so I asked. I actually searched online before I asked but couldn't find an answer. It never fails that someone who's obviously ignorant on a subject and, asks about it so as to learn someone with a high knowledge is compelled to put down the lack of knowledge by being sarcastic. I see it all the time. people shouldn't be made to feel intimidated . I'm actually in fear of asking a question. What movie can I say?
Well I thought it was a perfectly legit response considering that AM,FM,CW etc are all carrier modes and everyone (should) know(s) that you tune an amp with a carrier.......any carrier since we are tuning for frequency and not mode.Since an SSB radio also has AM mode it has a carrier available to tune the amp with.

And speaking of snotty responses, I have noticed a lot of yours in the last several months have taken that tone if something does not agree with your ideas so maybe a lot of folks should take a deep breath and hold it for a minute before replying to something they don't like.

Everyone should know? To quote Ralph cramden "my grandmother doesn't know " . Captain. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have the utmost respect for you and you've helped me and many others with simple and to the point answers but I doubt very much that everyone who subscribes to this site knew the answer to my question. Do you seriously think I'm the only person out of all members who didn't know that? I'd bet there are people out here who don't even know what my question was referring to. As I've stated in the past "I probably know less about cb/ham radio equipment and how they work than anyone on this site but, if I don't ask how will I learn. I thought the questions was viable. I was curious so I asked. I actually searched online before I asked but couldn't find an answer. It never fails that someone who's obviously ignorant on a subject and, asks about it so as to learn someone with a high knowledge is compelled to put down the lack of knowledge by being sarcastic. I see it all the time. people shouldn't be made to feel intimidated . I'm actually in fear of asking a question. What movie can I say?

See what I mean? You have been confrontational to people that simply do NOT understand what it is you were saying and to be truthful sometimes it is hard to understand just what it is you are asking. Is it unreasonable to assume that when someone asks a question such as you did in the opening post of this thread, that they are asking for knowledge so that THEY can put it to use and not simply asking because they are curious about something they have no intention of ever doing? Try this on and see if it is presented any different.

"Just curious here but how does one tune a ham type SSB/CW amp when you can't tune on SSB and do not have CW mode? I don't have one and probably never will as I am happy with my current 300a however I see it all the time and was wondering how do those guys do it? Is there a mod available to tune it in AM mode?"

The above leaves no doubt as to intentions or knowledge level.

At least vkrules said "no offense" in his post and told it like it is. If someone really did have to ask that question then they were NOT ready for such an amplifier. Your post made no such statement about never intending to buy or use one. A LOT of people here get told to back off and wait a while because they are not ready for something once the demonstrate their knowledge and skill level about it. Amps and amateur radio gear are at the top of that list and from some questions some people have asked they should indeed stay away from them until they acquire more knowledge about them. Especially high powered tube amps. In some cases lives are actually at stake.

Reactions: psycho
Captain. If I wanted to use a ham amplifier I would just have looked for and purchased a ham amp that includes am.my questions were purely based on curiosity. I can't possibly imagine how one could deduce anything except pure curiosity from my post. I know many people are purchesing those types of amp and using them specifically for 11 meters and "freebanding". I just simply wanted to know how there being used with cb radio. I always feel like I have to apologize for my lack of knowledge. this is silly . Anyone who has ever read any of my postings knows I know little to nothing. Once again if I caused any greef im, sorry. I'm gonna have to learn how to ask questions as to make sure no one reads anymore into my questions than exactly what Im asking. If I could remove my post I would. I wanna thank the people who gave me the answers to the questions. I totally understand and appreciate it. Thanks again.
See what I mean? You have been confrontational to people that simply do NOT understand what it is you were saying and to be truthful sometimes it is hard to understand just what it is you are asking. Is it unreasonable to assume that when someone asks a question such as you did in the opening post of this thread, that they are asking for knowledge so that THEY can put it to use and not simply asking because they are curious about something they have no intention of ever doing? Try this on and see if it is presented any different.

"Just curious here but how does one tune a ham type SSB/CW amp when you can't tune on SSB and do not have CW mode? I don't have one and probably never will as I am happy with my current 300a however I see it all the time and was wondering how do those guys do it? Is there a mod available to tune it in AM mode?"

The above leaves no doubt as to intentions or knowledge level.

At least vkrules said "no offense" in his post and told it like it is. If someone really did have to ask that question then they were NOT ready for such an amplifier. Your post made no such statement about never intending to buy or use one. A LOT of people here get told to back off and wait a while because they are not ready for something once the demonstrate their knowledge and skill level about it. Amps and amateur radio gear are at the top of that list and from some questions some people have asked they should indeed stay away from them until they acquire more knowledge about them. Especially high powered tube amps. In some cases lives are actually at stake.

Captain. If I wanted to use a ham amplifier I would just have looked for and purchased a ham amp that includes am.my questions were purely based on curiosity. I can't possibly imagine how one could deduce anything except pure curiosity from my post. I know many people are purchesing those types of amp and using them specifically for 11 meters and "freebanding". I just simply wanted to know how there being used with cb radio. I always feel like I have to apologize for my lack of knowledge. this is silly . Anyone who has ever read any of my postings knows I know little to nothing. Once again if I caused any greef im, sorry. I'm gonna have to learn how to ask questions as to make sure no one reads anymore into my questions than exactly what Im asking. If I could remove my post I would. I wanna thank the people who gave me the answers to the questions. I totally understand and appreciate it. Thanks again.

The thing is,as has already been said, ham amplifiers are not sold with or without AM mode capability. Ham amplifiers will operate practically any mode as long as the frequency of operation is within design limits. Any of the old amps that may have had an SSB/CW function switch or more likely a TUNE/SSB or TUNE/OPERATE switch simply changed the plate voltage a little bit to allow the amp to run a bit easier. There was one that I cannot remember the name of that actually had a CW/SSB switch where the CW positon actually switched the bias to class C for CW use for better efficiency. To my knowledge this was never a widespread practice and only used on one or two tube and they were old. Bottom line is if it is a true ham amp it is good for any mode. AM operaton simply means that you have to watch the plate dissapation closer as well as the power supply limitations.True ham amps are not keyed by RF so there is no such thing as an AM/SSB switch.

Reactions: wavrider
If someone can simplify and answer a question about small trans amps. If you got two(2) amps, they look the same, with the same knobs or switches ie on/off, mode/ssb, preamp on/off, the same 12 v connections, coax connectors, what determines if it will or not work on AM radio ? I always thought the frequency was determined by the radio. Bottom line, will a 144mhz amp work on a cb ? My current amp has no mhz listed anywhere that I can see. Just plain english if someone can explain it simply. Thanks, 3's to you/yours. As Paul Harvey would say.........good day.

Not unless the amp was specifically designed as a wide band amplifier,
If you mean a 2mtr ham amp no it won't work on cb.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.