• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D104 questions

towerdog

one-niner-seven
Nov 18, 2009
NC
I never had a D-104. I picked one up along with a bunch of other goodies today, wired it up for my galaxy and it didnt work. I checked and rechecked my wiring, it keys, but just makes bad noises. I think the preamp is bad.

Question is, will the D-104 work without the preamp, without the battery.
And could I bypass the battery and get rid of the preamp?

In other words is the D104 like a powermic you get at a truck stop, or is it of the type that requires amplification to work at all.

look to see if it has a switch inside that reads E-R if it does and your hooking it to a modern radio make sure its on E . thats for electronic switched radios .

if your radio is old and uses a relay for switching put that switch on R .

a tug8 stand will have this .

check your battery .sounds like the leaf switches inside the neck could be dirty .

report back

if your hooking that to the sonar or that teaberry it needs to be in the R position .

the soldering was a hack job and the wiring was so old it turned crispy.
I unsolder ed and cleaned everything up.
I dont think I need a power mic, at least not a power mic like you get at a truck stop.
I also had commercial radios in the past I used on ham that had power mic that took voltage from the radio, I think they were electret mics that had to have high voltage to work.
I'll play around with it more this weekend.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.