• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dash Mount CB Radio Help Volvo Day Cab

Happy_Hamer

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2001
I was assigned a Volvo day cab.

The dash has the spot for a CB to mount.

The previous driver took the Velcro strap that laced into the slots on the dash to secure the radio.

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement?

I cannot find one at the truck stops. eBay lists all kinds of velcro straps, I just do not know how long it has to be and how wide?

I don't want to use the self adhesive strips.

To me the strap looks like it should be about an inch and a half wide?

Anyone have one they can measure length and width?

Or a part number or location I can order it?

I ran into a similar situation when I was assigned an older Kenworth recently.

In the garage I found an old lashing strap that was approx. 1 inch wide and had a fastener on the other end. I cut the strap down to about 18" long which was enough to go through the holes in the bracket and around my 29 XLR, then pulled it tight on top of the radio.

Here's an example of the type of strap I am talking about: Set of 2, 1" x 12 Ft. Lashing Straps

Hope this helps.

Hammer, I am 9 years removed from my last Volvo, but here is what I remember.

When I bought it, that strap was missing. I went to the dealer and paid less than $10 for the strap. I think it was a couple of dollars is all but definitely less than $10.

It was a one piece strap, one inch wide with a plastic loop at one end. It went through the holes on the dash, looped through the plastic loop and folded back on itself.

I could have cared less about the CB in those days, and I ruined a few by trying other ways of mounting them on the dash. I had to have them for shippers and receivers so I bought the strap.

I haven't been in a Volvo since, but the dash on mine shook like crazy on every bump. I ended up getting a piece of heavy foam rubber and putting it under the radio to avoid buying another radio.

Maybe they have changed build quality since, but if not, I would find a way to absorb some shock.

I drive those some times. I have used a black rubber bungie . Hook one end to the defroster vent in front of the windshield and the other on the cup holder. Or get a long one hook it in the vent the same way. Open the cup holder and run it though the left cup hole. hook it down on the there on the bottom part of the dash. The Volvo's have a a cheap plastic dash that vibrates. I suggest putting a folded up towel or thick big foam rubber sponge under the radio. I have one of my radios mounted on a cutting board along with a metal motorola speaker. I put it on the passenger seat and plug it in the lighter ; or run the power to the post with banana plugs. 73's

Thanks for the ideas about the lashing strap and the low price of the regular strap. I usually wind up in a spare Mack with the same mount and missing strap. I tried bungee cords and even a piece of shrink wrap tied around my radio. I'm going to check my local International dealer tomorrow since our 9200's use a nearly identical strap. Otherwise, I'll just see if I have an old strap somewhere in my tool shed.
What kind of sucks in my case is I'm not always in the same truck, as our company assigns by the run instead of the driver. Plus I'm still low on the totem pole, and working off the extra board.

Best fix>Build a Slip Seater Box! Or get a pack of mini bungi cords (truckers duct tape) Barjan used to sell a roll of velcro that was about 3 ft long and a 1/2" wide that had fuzz on one side & spikes on the other I have use both with equal success when I had to drive another mans truck before my brains came in and I built a Box. Eventually I bough my own truck and never looked back until I retired and sold my Slip Seater Box with the truck.

Last edited:
20141125_184231_zps767c04e8.jpg

I went and bought one my self .. i have the strap but i will be using the actual mount..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.