• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Davemade, WorldWide, Or Fatboy.

yota167

May 8, 2009
I'm buying a 6 pill hd box next paycheck (2879's). I plan on loafing it for awhile with no driver just my Stryker490. The Stryker is doing about 125+ PEP. I'm ditching my tri-mag and going to a hardmount/aka puckmount in the roof w/ a 102" steel whip.
Currently running a 130amp alternator and 2 Yellow Top Optima's in parrallel.

First Question: What box would you all reccomend. I hear they are all about the same but maybe you have preferances among Fatboy/Davemade/Worldwide for one reason or another?

Second: What kind of PEP wattage is a 6 pill going to see w/ 130 watts PEP input? I've got a 2 pill 2290 driver box and a stack of Cobra 25's to go along with the driver(texas star modv 250) for when I get around to upgrading the alternator but for now I'm not running a driver box into whatever 6 pill I get.

Tips; hints; thoughts; and help all appreciated. Constructive critism welcomed as well as flat-out dude your an idiot comments welcome as well.

c'mon Bring it :) LOL

It's great to be here....I'll be around for awhile.

BACKGROUND INFO:

I've run Palomars, Texas Stars, a 1x4 Fatboy, 4-pill 2879 fatboy, 4 pill Midnight Special, and a load of radios and antennas. I'm not new to this, but I am new to alot of the technical aspects of setting up anything over 4 pill power.

PEACE.
-Yota (I found out there is another YOTA in cb land....guess I should signify myself as the YOTA from Central Buckeye....not the one from Beantown (y)

All 3 amps are AWESOME!! Both Fatboy|Worldwide use to work for Davemade. Quality aspects there! :D

Good Luck in your decision! :)

I'm leaning towards teh WorldWide straight 6 pill.

I plan on loafing it with my stock alt and 2 batteries until I upgrade the chargine system then I can run a 2 pill driver infront of that 6 pill w/ a lower wattage radio...ie Cobra or Uniden

Thanks Gang!

oh one more thing:

What benefits are there to the straight 6 and using a driver box versus say a box built with a 2 pill driving 6?

Last edited:
Besides needing a radiation suit, it sounds like you are ready to go.
Check your SWR often enough so that a failure won't sneak up on you. Ground everything to the frame; but I think you know that one. The Class C amp that has the 2879's transistors in it will give you the bang for the buck - IMO...

I think he means 130 watts peak. I don't think you would need to go bigger , that Stryker 490 should be plenty of drive.

You really plan on driving it with 130 watts?
- 'Doc

w5lz,
Yes I plan on driving it with 130 PEP watts. It's recommended driver is a 2 pill 2290 box....a bit more than my high output export Stryker490 I would think.

What is wrong with driving a straight 6 box w/ 130 watts pep? Am I missing something here?!?

i was thinking about doing the samething

did you get an answer on the out put watts from a 6 pill..............not sure im doing this message thing right

What he is saying is the reality of it is two things, 1) 130 watts pep is plenty of drive if not more then required. 2) We tend to overdrive the piss out of comp style amplifiers.

That said you can run a 2 pill into it, you will just splatter alot more across the band and into your neighbors stuff. Just because it can handle a 2 pill driver does not mean you have to run it hard like that all the time.

i like all 3 boxes
if it was my choice then i would have to go with the man that wanted my money along the same line that wants my respect.

i know for a fact these guys are busier than a 1 legged man in a jump rope contest

as for worldwide good boxes but all my calls dont make contact
so that leaves me with 2 builders

i have a worldwide mf 440 awsome amp gets out great. only driveing it with 2 watts. great amp only problem i have with mine is anything ander half power swr is perfect after i turn it past half way swr go off the chart like wise if i drive it with more than the 2 watts swr goes way high antena side. everything is grounded good no coax problems bought amp new was told the tuning circuite neads to be beafed up. other than that with it turned up half way it pushes 500 watts and talks as far as i nead it to talk to my grandfather 60 miles away hit him with 7 out of nine on his radio and clear as a bell;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.