• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dead Hobby?

thetnhillbilly

Jun 28, 2006
Tennessee, U.S.A.
For those of you who think the radio hobby is all but dead, here are a few recent stories from the local paper.

Balloon Lift

Pint-sized Communicators

I know some will say that it is not like it was "in the day", but it seems to me that the hobby became a fad and is now back to being only a hobby. Radio isn't the only thing to have fad status and later decline into hobby. Rubik's cubes, hula hoops, jogging, and loads of other stuff come to mind that are still around, but no longer fads.

For anyone who is still worried about the death of the hobby, how about being proactive. When you dig that old Kraco or Realistic out of the garage or attic, give it to a local kid instead of trying to get $20 out of it. Maybe your town has a fall festival, fair, or block party that you and a few other operators could set up at and show what it is all about. Bring something with lights and a DRO and I'm sure you can get some attention.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone, just trying to make the point that complaining won't get the job done like being proactive will. I think I remember DTB making a similar point once. He said that instead of just complaining about mis-tuned meter-happy radios and users, he would show them the difference between their setup and what theirs could be if properly tuned and aligned. Most times they would understand and prefer the proper way. Being proactive, do it.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone, just trying to make the point that complaining won't get the job done like being proactive will. I think I remember DTB making a similar point once. He said that instead of just complaining about mis-tuned meter-happy radios and users, he would show them the difference between their setup and what theirs could be if properly tuned and aligned. Most times they would understand and prefer the proper way. Being proactive, do it.

You would think huh ? ........but no. You could beat them senseless and it still wouldn't matter ......they like it there ways....and I personally think that's OK for them. I don't see anything wrong with trying to explain it if it's worth your time and somebodies willing to listen in the first place. But I think you were talking about cb radio here when it all seemed to start off with Ham radio , I think more so then not , there's a big differents there. I personally have no clue about Ham radio when or even if it is a dying breed ? CB radio in So.Cal has been for many many years , I would certainly think that would make many Ham radio operators very happy about that arond these parts. Those evil dirty rotten cb'ers !! :)

I find it ironic that most of the old hams I know have call signs, but no equipment!

They wonder what the heck would you want to mess with radio for? After all, the age of the internet has all but obsoleted that old mode of communication.

A lot of the ones that are in radio seem to have grown a bit callous...

I thought we was having a civil conversation, simply stating our opinions, ideas, and perceptions, when along comes a big hammer to bust it all up, just because he don't like the subject of conversation. Go figure. Its even worse when they are in positions of power and leverage that to their own personal advantage, to push their own private agenda, and force their own will on others.

That is why I just dabble in it from time to time. I like the technology and apply it when I can. It's still fun once in a while.

Good luck

I appreciate the responses guys.

Switch Kit said:
You would think huh ? ........but no. You could beat them senseless and it still wouldn't matter ......they like it there ways....and I personally think that's OK for them. I don't see anything wrong with trying to explain it if it's worth your time and somebodies willing to listen in the first place. But I think you were talking about cb radio here when it all seemed to start off with Ham radio , I think more so then not , there's a big differents there. I personally have no clue about Ham radio when or even if it is a dying breed ? CB radio in So.Cal has been for many many years ,

Switch, I'm not quoting DTB, just going by what I remember, but I do believe he said that MOST people he explained it to wanted a properly tuned and aligned radio. When you say "you could beat them senseless and it still wouldn't matter", I'm surprised you are talking about "them", you seem to be the most stubborn one of "them".

I never specified Ham or CB because I'm talking about them both when I contend that the radio hobby is not dead. I don't know what you are comparing it to when you say it is dying where you are, but one of my points is that it is not fair to compare it to when it was a fad and everyone was using it. You might point out that many shops have closed over the years, but I'll point out that I don't see many coin or stamp collecting shops anymore, but I don't think those hobbies will ever die either.

What have you done to perpetuate the hobby? Are you going to do anything to promote it, or just watching it die (because you are saying it is dying)?

C2 said:
I thought we was having a civil conversation, simply stating our opinions, ideas, and perceptions, when along comes a big hammer to bust it all up, just because he don't like the subject of conversation. Go figure. Its even worse when they are in positions of power and leverage that to their own personal advantage, to push their own private agenda, and force their own will on others.

C2, I feel like I missed something there, like I'm reading it out of context or something. Please explain.

Switch, I'm not quoting DTB, just going by what I remember, but I do believe he said that MOST people he explained it to wanted a properly tuned and aligned radio. When you say "you could beat them senseless and it still wouldn't matter", I'm surprised you are talking about "them", you seem to be the most stubborn one of "them".

IM not stubborn to the "truth" Hillbilly , I understand it loud and clear , I personally like what I like weather or not the machines tell me different or not. You say MOST .......well I hate to inform you that your wrong ! MOST is a whole hell of a lot of people and IM not buying it .....never will. I never said the "truth" was wrong. You started this thread off with about some kid getting her ticket ..Good for her !! I understood where you were coming from with all of that. The death of the hobby ? ......still wasn't quite sure what hobby your were talking about ? either Ham or CB or both ? but then you went into DTB and his right ways and wrong ways and I know he wasn't talking about HAM when he said that , he was talking that stuff years ago and I understood. You might be right Hillbilly , IM stubborn to the way of your thinking and the way "you" think things ought to be. As I said , IM a cb'er , IM far from a HAM operator nor do I care. I said this before , CB has been a dying breed here in So.Cal for decades .....that hasn't changed and to be perfectly honest with you , I could care less , so IM not out to save it in any way ,shape or form. As far as HAM radio goes in my area .......I couldn't tell you . Your artical was OK fine . It was good to hear when nothing else worked that HAM radio did ......that's great !! My cb radio works for me just great ! I just feel grateful that mother natures way of making life miserable for people hasn't come my way , and nor has my cb radio came into play for any disaster that has taken place. Has came in handy for other things though. You can be all the proactive you want Hillbilly , Rah Rah Rah !! You go !! When it comes to CB and HAM radio there two different ways of communication with usually a set of two different attitudes ........by all means Hillbilly , Your attitude is yours and mine is mine . I've been listening to this BS now for 20 years. I'll stay on my side of the street and you can stay on yours. Peace ..............oh ,and as far as C2 goes , he's intitled to his opinion , and from what I read , it could go either way . Positive or Negative ......You pick. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.