• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dead key setting for fat boy 450

What dead key setting should I run my general lee at for running a fatboy 450 2 x 2879?

Run the dead key from the GL up or down until the amp keys about 100-125 watts. There is no magic number concerning output from the radio since other factors will affect the output of the system.

That box should take a 4 to a 6 watt dk no problem, I would just be a little concerned about the pep watts. If it was my box, I would't hit it with more then 20 or 25 watts pep. That is all that is required to drive it to full output, sure if you run the drive up you will see more wattage on the meter, but most of that is heat, not real world watts......

That box should take a 4 to a 6 watt dk no problem, I would just be a little concerned about the pep watts. If it was my box, I would't hit it with more then 20 or 25 watts pep. That is all that is required to drive it to full output, sure if you run the drive up you will see more wattage on the meter, but most of that is heat, not real world watts......

If you want 400-450 peak watts then 120 peak watts drive is needed. If you only drive it with 25 watts peak that amp is the wrong choice, using that small a drive will only do about 1/2 the rated output.

It is a 2 x 2879! 120 watts drive? Holy crap! Yeah if he is keying in a competition it will last a couple keys, I am just saying you can drive it with as many watts as you want till you smell 10 ohm resisters, but realisticly will those watts all be real, on frequency watts?

It is a 2 x 2879! 120 watts drive? Holy crap! Yeah if he is keying in a competition it will last a couple keys, I am just saying you can drive it with as many watts as you want till you smell 10 ohm resisters, but realisticly will those watts all be real, on frequency watts?

I have seen people use Davemade and Xforce 1 pills to drive 2 pill amps for a decade without a problem.....sure they are competition amps. That is if you want the maximum output....and if you don't want the max, the driver amps all have variables on the front to cut it back.
On frequency.....this subject has been discussed so much and eveyone has a different opinion but I have never seen someone use a texas star or palomar amp at a keydown contest and beat a comp amp with the same number and type of output transistors.
If you run a comp amp on 14 volts they'll last a long, long time. The same amp combo on 20 volts will peak 800 watts and some even claim more, but at 18 or more volts the finals live a short life.....VERY short. I have run 20 volts into a 4 x 2879 amp driven by 2x2290 driver once and blew 2 finals on the first key, never did it again.

What dead key setting should I run my general lee at for running a fatboy 450 2 x 2879?

The one I personally built only needs 30 watts pep to reach it's full rated power of 180 watts pep so I put about 10 watts carrier into it and all is good.

They will do more if driven at higher levels but it's totally not necessary and totally uncalled for if you care about your neighbors t vs.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.