• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

delta tune

Clarifier for SSB use. It trims up the received signal to dial it in.

At least that is what it was on an old Pace I used to have.

the delta tune is a useless feature that the manufacturer included for the specific purpose of having an easily accessible location for things like echo controls, variable power, or a channel switch.
thats just what i think.
who knows what the actual reason was for putting a "clarifier" on an AM radio.
loosecannon

My Uniden PC 78XL has delta tune, and I modified it to slide between the standard CB channels. It will swing down about 11 KC and up about 2 KC from the center detent position.

I modified the radio with an external oscillator to work on 29 MHz for Ham AM use, and the delta tune mod really helps me tune in the guys who don't use the "5s." On the actual CB band, this ability probably wouldn't be needed because of simpler ways to get on the "A" channels. (Capacitor-10.240-Switch Method)

I think that the original reason for having delta tune on the AM only CBs was so you could tune in folks whose old 23 channel "crystal-plexers" had drifted WAY off frequency. However, as Loosecannon said, now it is mostly used to put echo, etc. in the place of...

Reactions: 1 person
The delta tune was originally included to allow the receiving radio to track in a slightly off-channel transmitter. It functions about the same way as a clarifier, but for a different purpose. My understanding is that since the Cobra 29 LTD Classic is already type-accepted by the FCC, Cobra can make it basically forever if they don't change the design (IE remove the clarifier).

DTB,

isnt it sad that the same thing is true of the 148GTL and the 2000GTL.
both radios could still be made to the exact same specs today.
too bad.
loosecannon

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.