1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

delta tune

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by bigred222, Sep 11, 2007.

1. bigred222

bigred222 Key Up City Radio

What the heck is delta tune. I just picked up a virgin 29xlr with it and i have no idea what it is. any ideas on what i could do to make the 29xlr a little more awseome.

2. SR385

SR385 Active Member

Clarifier for SSB use. It trims up the received signal to dial it in.

At least that is what it was on an old Pace I used to have.
  3. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur Staff Member

The word "delta" actually means "changing". In other words it is just a fancy name for a receiver clarifer or fine tuning.
  4. Master Chief

Master Chief Guest

The 29 is an AM radio only. It has a delta tune. SSB radios have a clarifier of some sort, not a delta tune.
  5. BIONIC_TEXAN88

BIONIC_TEXAN88 Active Member

the delta tune is kinda like a clarifier, but a very slight difference is noticed on am.
  6. bigred222

bigred222 Key Up City Radio

yeah thats what i thought it was and i turned it while i was testing it and it wasnt doing anything so i just deemed it useless and unimportant. thanks guys
    73's
  7. loosecannon

loosecannon break on through

the delta tune is a useless feature that the manufacturer included for the specific purpose of having an easily accessible location for things like echo controls, variable power, or a channel switch.
    thats just what i think.
    who knows what the actual reason was for putting a "clarifier" on an AM radio.
    loosecannon
  8. CollinsMan

CollinsMan Supporting Member

My Uniden PC 78XL has delta tune, and I modified it to slide between the standard CB channels. It will swing down about 11 KC and up about 2 KC from the center detent position.

I modified the radio with an external oscillator to work on 29 MHz for Ham AM use, and the delta tune mod really helps me tune in the guys who don't use the "5s." On the actual CB band, this ability probably wouldn't be needed because of simpler ways to get on the "A" channels. (Capacitor-10.240-Switch Method)

I think that the original reason for having delta tune on the AM only CBs was so you could tune in folks whose old 23 channel "crystal-plexers" had drifted WAY off frequency. However, as Loosecannon said, now it is mostly used to put echo, etc. in the place of...
    1 person likes this.
  9. DTB Radio

DTB Radio Active Member

The delta tune was originally included to allow the receiving radio to track in a slightly off-channel transmitter. It functions about the same way as a clarifier, but for a different purpose. My understanding is that since the Cobra 29 LTD Classic is already type-accepted by the FCC, Cobra can make it basically forever if they don't change the design (IE remove the clarifier).
  10. loosecannon

loosecannon break on through

DTB,

isnt it sad that the same thing is true of the 148GTL and the 2000GTL.
    both radios could still be made to the exact same specs today.
    too bad.
    loosecannon