• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

dipole works very well on a semi

doc919

Dec 6, 2012
mid south tennessee
I get about a 2db gain over the factory antenna. Setup both having 1.1 kit was made using 2 k 40 adjustable tip,1" PVC with caps. 4" of copper wire for the ground between the 2.

I toyed with the idea of doing an inverted V dipole on a vehicle with a single high support. And tied off to each bumper, but I figured the near field of the body of the vehicle would mess it up too bad to make it worth it. I can see the value of something like this on the new fiberglass trucks.

I. Have tried many times to upload the file but can not get it to work. Any suggestions. I would like to have them posted. In both vertical n horizontal. Position. Did this by having. A T 6" from top.

Doc919, how and where are your images stored? What kind of files do you have, the file extension will do.

Doc919's Pictures...

IMG_20130329_115415_zpsbdc484d3.jpg

IMG_20130329_115122_zps2a904830.jpg

IMG_20130329_115034_zps9f563a4d.jpg

IMG_20130329_114916_zps23b364a7.jpg

IMG_20130326_122223_zpsa5bd7287.jpg

There's a driver that I have talked DX with on many occasions, and dang it if I can remember his numbers. Seems like he is out of Utah or Wyoming. He runs a Kenwood TS-480, and a switchable set of antennas mirror mounted for directivity, and a dipole ran horizontally. Heck of a neat setup, but I've never seen it in person or via pictures.

RT307

Two old boys up in the Great Northwest (maybe Wyoming or Montana) were truckers, and they also use to build the Sky King 4 element quad beam.

They both ran similar vertical dipole antenna setups on their long haul trucks like Doc919's idea. They talked sideband skip all over the nation advertising that beam.

One of them stopped by my location one time, and we talked while he was waiting for a load.

He had some kind of little circuit connected at the hub of his however, but that could have just been eye candy.

Last edited:
Both of those setup would get a ticket I can not those 2 setup are for drive around. That first setup you destroy that antenna the first time you hit a tree another vehicle passing by going the other direction or at the gas station filling up

I think I would agree in that you'd sure have to be careful with it. The one thing that I do see that could be a problem is that the back leg is really close to that metal trailer. No idea off hand what kind of problems it could cause, but it's not a 'good' idea. I would also say that it should probably work as well as a typical vertical antenna but it would be horizontally polarized, which can make a good/bad difference depending on what you want to do.
- 'Doc

More practical than this>Motormouth MAUL Mobile - YouTube
Plus the horizontal dipole on a semi allows you to keep your knees in the breeze! Ca-Ching!
Also,John Denver runs a similar setup on a pull behind trailer with a generator for power. His and Motor Mouth Maul have their mobile beams at 22 feet when transmitting. I wonder if you could run two dipoles on a semi?
Semi-trailer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.