• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Direct TV Box Reboots

Does your Direct TV box happen to be an HDTV box? If so then most likely its a bad designed box. In some boxes they use infrared and RF radio frequency to control the box. The RX for the remote control is vary poorly shielded. I shut mine off with a stock CB radio out of the box. A lot of hams complain about this because new radios running under a 100 watts interfere with these Direct TV boxes.

Direct TV quit replacing these faulty boxes and now they just tell you to call the FCC if you have interference issues (that's what they told me)

Try using a different transceiver, this will let you know where the fault is originating. If the DTV box still acts up, then the TR7 is not the problem. Then it would be the coax, antenna or DTV box.
I have Dish Network and have zero problems, only item in my home that overloads from RF energy are my computer speakers and it is the poor design audio amp and/or power supply in it.

73 mechanic

Sorry read post and saw you used ferrite chokes already. The ground to the exhaust pipe of the roof may not be helping. Have you tried using at least 1 if not more 5/8" 8-10ft ground rods? Also the A99 is one antenna known for its tvi/RFI bleed over. Mine did it to my neighbors computer speakers and Stereo as well. The ferrite chokes cleared this issue up. But I had to use multiple ones on the computer speakers. Also may want to try adding a coax rf choke at feed point of the antenna. May help, may not. Last question if this hasn't been asked, which direction is the dish pointed in relation to your antenna? I know my local just had dish tv installed and the dish is pointed toward his antenna, he runs a big stick, pretty much same as the A99, and he gets some rf back into the tv now. The dish is mounted within 10ft of his mast and is pointed up in the direction his antenna is mounted. I will say this, after changing antennas from an A99 to a sirio tornado, I have since not had any issues with the neighbors, took my rf chokes off the stereo and no issues, the computer speakers still get a very, very slight hum at times they say, but nothing like before. They could here my conversations before. I also have since added 12 large ferrite chokes at the feed point of my antenna and also a matching 1:1 balun. All is well now. No issues with anyone!! Hope you get it resolved.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.