• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Distracted Driver Law in Alberta- Is there a solution?

I've known my best friend since we were both 7. He's originally from Thompson, Manitoba.

When we were kids, another friend and I would tell the others in the neighborhood that they shouldn't mess with him because he was a spy for Canada and was a card carrying member of the Parti Quebecois. You'd be surprised how many dummies in the neighborhood we managed to intimidate. Sheer ignorance. So much for U.S. public education. We need more well educated immigrants.

We still laugh about it 4 decades later, as he occasionally gets a call at work from his "cousin Jacques" from Montreal.

So I am looking around at cb stuff and see this 2010 news article and see that there is a law against using handheld radios in your vehicle while driving other than for work purposes. What do you do to overcome this handicap? Bluetooth mic or something? And how do we adapt an older type radio (specifically a Uniden pc78 am radio) to the Bluetooth?

Try this,will work with your Uniden Radio

Bluetooth Wireless Remote mount microphone system for all 4-pin mobile CB radios and Bluetooth Cell Phones

One-of-a-Kind Wireless Microphone System for All 4-pin CB Radios and Bluetooth Enabled Cellular Phones allows safe hand-free wireless one-touch communication on the CB radio and phone conversations. Operates with all 4-pin mobile CB radios, connectivity to all Bluetooth cell phones, up to 10 hours of talk-time on one charge, Complies with One-touch cell phone use legislation in commercial vehicles, Premium noise canceling design, easy installation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111597083681?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:
I just looked into that Cobra headset and it would be much nicer if the received audio was patched on to the headphones.

Still a good solution but could be better.

The best option I know of is using the Heil pro micro single ear piece headphones.

No these aren't wireless and you have to buy the 4 pin mic adapter( Heil 4 pin adapter AD-1K4) separately since these are used for many different Ham radios with different mic configurations.

You also have to purchase a handheld PTT or foot-switch or you can easily make your own which I would do. If your radio has VOX, then your all set.

These ones will give you received audio into the phones. Check link below for description and be sure to scroll down on that webpage for accessories.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011159

buy a foot switch for keying the radio, then after getting in multiple accidents trying to key up, lead the movement to simply remove the stupid, uncoordinated drivers from the road instead of punishing the good drivers for being superior.

There are plenty of home made VOX circuits that could do that for you. You build the circuit board and have it control a double pole double throw relay and wire it to your radio plug. My radios have that built in.

a friend once told me that in earlier model cars, the switches were actually used for changing radio stations!!!

Reminiscent of the days when the headlight dimmer switch was on the left side of the floor.
I actually prefer those, I now think a PTT footswitch in that location isn't a bad idea after all.

I'm currently piecing together a Bluetooth headset mic for my HF mobile rig that I can switch between using a small PTT switch mounted on the steering wheel hub or use VOX.

I'll give details afterwards.

I actually prefer those, I now think a PTT footswitch in that location isn't a bad idea after all.

You obviously must not have snow/slush and road salt to contend with. Those floor mounted dimmer switches were one of the worst damned ideas there ever was for those of us that have snow and road salt to contend with. They were always rusting and sticking and prone to failure. not saying there are not better switches today however......

Reactions: DainBramage

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.