• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DIY NO GROUND - 1/4 WAVE ANTENNA

CB RADIO FREQ

Apr 1, 2013
Hello everyone i just thought that this might be interesting to some of you out there. i go camping alot and usually bring a cb radio but the main problem i had was the antenna. it had to be small enough to fit into a back pack but had to work. so with the help of the internet and my own two cents i came up with a no - ground 1/4 wave antenna.
to build this antenna i used the 108 inches of center conductor from tv cable and some old tent poles. the tent poles stand around 10 feet tall and are mounted to a small tripod with some rope and stakes to keep it still. i then attached the 108 inches of wire to the outside of the poles with some tape. this way it can be collapsed and put into a backpack. Since i didnt want to have to use a ground plane i made a very simple matching network for the antenna.
to make the matching network use a 1 inch pvc pipe and wrap six turns about 4-5 inches long of bare copper ground wire. attach one end of the coil to the antenna and the other to the ground of the coax. then you will need to locate a tuning capacitor out of and old radio. attach the center conductor to one side of the tuning capacitor and solder an alligator clip to the other side. then clip the clip at about 1 turn from the top of the coil and use the tuning capacitor to fine tune the SWR.
After everything was all said and done i was able to achieve an SWR reading of 1.5:1 or less on all the cb channels and channels that were well above and below the cb band.
Just thought this might be interesting to someone out there. 73s

SWR is one thing but efficiency is another and without a groundplane the efficiency is likely to be fairly low. What is the shield of the coax cable attached too at the antenna end? Anything at all or just open ended and connected to the coil/capacitor?

i know I have posted this same pic before, but it really works quite well

this is about the easiest antenna to make,, use a sling slot with a cheap open fishing reel(walmart less than $15 for the whole set up) attached to shoot a line over a tall tree branch. easy to roll up in your backpack when done.

Attachments

• coax%20antenna.jpg
    coax%20antenna.jpg
    764.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 0913140852.jpg
    0913140852.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I thought camping was getting away from modern conveniences and getting back to nature. Camping must have changed since I was young.

the shield of the coax is just connected to the bottom of the coil right now . i was thinking about using a 2ft fiberglass antenna for a ground plane. will that help at all with the efficiency?

Your counterpoise elements need to be a least the length or longer than the radiating element. On 11 meters they should be 108". The antenna posted by camaro1 is also called the T2LT and is a good talker.

Just as easy to use 3 or 4 1/4 wave wire radials as your guys to hold it up . Tie it off with a foot or so of cord and tent peg it the ground.T2LT would be a another way to go, if you don't want to suspend it from a tree get a telescopic fiberglass fishing pole, you can get them in lengths up to 34 ft, 20 ft ones are dirt cheap on ebay.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.