• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DMR, SELL ME ON IT

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
I've been looking into dmr a little. Then after you start looking at dmr you start to look at the hotspots as well. I've already got a general class and almost full freq privileges as it is. I use all hf and vhf right now. 11 meters is common. I've already set up for all of these bands with antennas and radios. Do I really need another? Is there more traffic on dmr? Other than the hotspot, whats the advantage?

Reactions: Rwb

No advantage over the other forms of modulation. Some will point out that a digital signal will be clearer until you reach the point where it drops completely, but I have been able to hear analog signals in the noise, where the digital signal drops, so I wouldn’t say you can get farther with a digital signal. It just stays more “armchair copy”…until it’s gone.

As far as doing the VOIP/ROIP/hotspot thing, I would say it is underwhelming, since you are just using the internet to make the contacts, not mother nature. No real challenge in this type of activity. I have joked for years about people trying to get the “worked all IP addresses“ award on VOIP. For me, it is akin to randomly dialing your cellphone and talking to the stranger that answers…QSL???

Is there more activity on DMR? You can listen for yourself at Hoseline link and determine if you are interested in what you hear.

I started with DMR in 2014. I played with hotspots, built two DMR repeaters, and was on Brandmeister when it first started. I gave it all up about 4 years ago because it got boring, and playing with real RF is more fun for me. You may have a different experience.

I don't really get on with the DMR robotic voices but surely technology will do better than that pretty soon. However, after having virtually everybody tell me that DMR and hotspot shenanigans were THE thing I started looking into it and it just doesn't appeal to me. Far too unnecessarily complicated and it seems like it's trying to do what a mobile phone can do already.

I'm already suspicious because I don't have a home rig or a QRZ page and I'm strictly 2m and 70cm handheld mobile. I tried to get more involved in the local ham radio scene but the moment I say I don't "do" HF they all start backing away and crossing themselves because I'm obviously one of Satan's minions. I don't do any club things or take part in boring repeater-based natter sessions where the only two topics are what new medical ailments you have and what the weather is like where you are.

All this means I pretty much never ever have a radio conversation with anybody anywhere because I'm not doing it right according to the fashionable trends of the moment.

I also find it funny how the moment I mention anything CB related the ham radio boffins get snooty because it's not licensed, so therefore it's not real radio.

I've been looking into dmr a little. Then after you start looking at dmr you start to look at the hotspots as well. I've already got a general class and almost full freq privileges as it is. I use all hf and vhf right now. 11 meters is common. I've already set up for all of these bands with antennas and radios. Do I really need another? Is there more traffic on dmr? Other than the hotspot, whats the advantage?
DMR is a black hole to me, no idea why we need that in ham radio but I think if you want to give it a try, go ahead. It is just money.

I also find it funny how the moment I mention anything CB related the ham radio boffins get snooty because it's not licensed, so therefore it's not real radio.
Users here are both CB and Ham radio users, and GMRS and MURS and the list goes on.
We tend to get along well considering, let's try to keep it that way.

Jeff

Reactions: Rwb and sunbulls
There are some very closed attitudes among some of the old school ham radio folks. I'm a ham operator myself, as well as other things, and I can tell you that the most caustic and unhelpful interactions I've had with any sort of radio is from the righteous ham crowd. I do think those types are a dwindling minority, but they don't do the subject any favours and I can understand why some newbies find the whole thing just a bit off-putting.

There are some very closed attitudes among some of the old school ham radio folks. I'm a ham operator myself, as well as other things, and I can tell you that the most caustic and unhelpful interactions I've had with any sort of radio is from the righteous ham crowd. I do think those types are a dwindling minority, but they don't do the subject any favours and I can understand why some newbies find the whole thing just a bit off-putting.
I have been a ham now for over 30 years and yes there are some thick heads out there but a big spin of the dial solves the problem. Except for certain frequencies on 20 and 40 meters most of the people are decent.

Last edited:
no near dmr repeaters near me. however i set up the scu 58 cable from yaesu to my pc to my ftm 200d and get wires x .its sometimes busy sometimes not.
i will have to say mike is right about weird voices. wires x is better than dmr sound wise quality.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.