• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Do I need guy wires?

Andy

Feb 9, 2007
USA - Illinois
I have gotten a lot of different opinions with this question, so I thought I would confuse myself a little more and get more opinions.

I have a 30 ft Rohn 25G tower with a 10 ft mast pipe at the top. The bottom section of the tower is attacted to the house. Leaving 20 foot of tower and 10 ft of mast pipe above the house. Right now I have an A-99 at the top of the mast and very soon I'm hoping to put a 4 element yagi at the bottom of the mast. I live in IL and the wind rarely gets to 50-60 MPH. Should I use guy wires?

Also... My mast pipe is EMT conduit pipe. Will this be stronge enough for my antennas?

Thanks,
Andy

I used to have a 30 foot push up pole with 20 feet of old fence pipe attach to my house with no guidewires, but i was always worried that it would fall. I say yes for peace of mind.

If it is Rohn 45G, you are probably OK. If it is Rohn 25G, I would guy it. Dump the EMT and go with heavy wall pipe.

25G is 12 inches across the face. 45G is 18".

Rich

As it is now, it might not 'need' guys. Adding another antenna to the thing means that the 'surface' area presented to the wind will increase and you probably will need to guy the tower/mast. Do yourself a favor and get rid of the EMT conduit, as suggested. It might be the right 'shape' needed but it certainly won't have the required strength! I'd also suggest using a thrust bearing and mounting the rotor down in the tower a couple of feet or so.
- 'Doc

(The guys won't hurt, and you might be able to make them into antennas too.)

Get rid of the emt conduit an use schedule 40 conduit. It is the same thickness as water pipe except it has straight threads on the ends instead of tapered threads like water pipe.

Its plated an cheaper also.

Ronnie :D

Cat Driver said:
Get rid of the emt conduit an use schedule 40 conduit. It is the same thickness as water pipe except it has straight threads on the ends instead of tapered threads like water pipe.

Its plated an cheaper also.

For example... Lowes has EMT conduit and Ridgid conduit. Is the 40 conduit the same as the Ridgid?

Andy

EMT is the thin stuff, I don't know what they are calling ridgid.
But the schedule 40 conduit is the same thickness as galvinized water pipe. Walls are about 1/8" thick. Will hold what you are going to do.

Mast -Rohn 25G-30ft

go to your local cyclone fence dealer and get a heavy walled galvanized 2diaX10ft pipe for about $ 40 never had 1 bend on me yet and Ive got 375lbs of antenna on one up 105ft-Rohn-rate 25G at 30 ft not guyed at 30sq.ft of round surface area at 60mph.If I were putting a large antenna on it-over 10sq ft of surface area Id install guys ,otherwise most likely not.

DE K8PG Paul CW LIVES
O.O. :usa

Andy said:
I have gotten a lot of different opinions with this question, so I thought I would confuse myself a little more and get more opinions.

I have a 30 ft Rohn 25G tower with a 10 ft mast pipe at the top. The bottom section of the tower is attacted to the house. Leaving 20 foot of tower and 10 ft of mast pipe above the house. Right now I have an A-99 at the top of the mast and very soon I'm hoping to put a 4 element yagi at the bottom of the mast. I live in IL and the wind rarely gets to 50-60 MPH. Should I use guy wires?

Also... My mast pipe is EMT conduit pipe. Will this be stronge enough for my antennas?

Yes, guy it.

Thanks,
Andy

I always say..

if you have to ask yourself if you need guy wiring.
you likly need it..

using it now with A99 i would not worry much
but for peace of mind alone it is still worth guying)

when you add the beam you should for sure i think
besides what can it hurt by guying it
just need watch swr's depending on type of guying you use

Who is watching Daytona 500 ?

Mine is a 25g 30 ft attached to the house at 10 ft with a 21 ft section of schl 40 black pipe 12 ft above and 9 ft in the tower.

CopyofAntenna3.jpg

M104C with an A99

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.