• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Do I need guy wires?

Peddler said:
Mine is a 25g 30 ft attached to the house at 10 ft with a 21 ft section of schl 40 black pipe 12 ft above and 9 ft in the tower.

CopyofAntenna3.jpg

M104C with an A99

Did you put guy wires on or do they just not show up in the picture?

Andy

lords said:
take it from a man that installs towers and climbs them...as long as the tower is mounted into the ground(cemented) at about 4 foot down or more you don't have a problem one bit:) most made towers are 10foot sections!!! unless home brewed!
Peace!

That would all depend on the type of tower aould it not? Straight tower sections tend to be 10 ft. long and are meant to be guyed beyond a certain height regardless of the base construction. A free standing tower usually comes in 8 foot sections (sometimes 10 ft.) and is tapered with the bottom of each section larger than the top end.That's what I have seen on any Rohn, Delhi, or Trylon etc tower.Any tower with straight sections will need to be guyed beyond a certain limit as determined by the manufacturer.

All the ones i did (about 70 this includes T.V to!),i have install 4-6 element beams on them..
I swear to this day the only problem they ever had was the dam vertical stick on the top messing up in section 2..(a99) and by that i leave this alone .because i aint taking down a full beam setup just for a vertical stick not lookin straight by mans eye..

and forgot about this sorry, for the misguiding as i only did 4 of them...straight shooters..
Straight tower sections tend to be 10 ft. long and are meant to be guyed beyond a certain height regardless of the base construction..
50 feet is were you guy wire them using 3 wires or more if you want..the areas i did them in no room for a full 3 wires and had to install some on a roof (25 foot out)which wasn't to my likings..but was approved by the owner...
I live in WI so the winds in an open are can get bad:)
and also i am 45 now,me on the climbing of them 60-80feet without the guy wires on them..not affect by my weight at 165 lbs:p

I tend to go with Rohn's typical standards. Except for their free standing tower series, there are maximum heights before guying/bracing is required. None of those heights are 50 feet. Having seen several towers put up in this area that weren't guyed, and which did not have the best footings in the world, I think I'd guy anything more than about 30 feet, don't care who makes it. Footings are something else I don't think you can 'over do'. More is better. The shape of the footing also makes a big difference. A 'pointy' hole (big at the top, small at the bottom) in the ground means the tower will fall, period. A hole more of a pyramid shape means that it won't fall over nearly as easily. If that chunk of concrete doesn't weigh at least as much as the tower, and you have high winds, put it far enough away from stuff, cuz it will come down. The more concrete in the ground the less likely it won't get turned over.
It's expensive, sure. But re-doing a tower is always more expensive. If you're not ready to spend some money, you ain't ready for a tower. Especially an un-guyed Rohn 25 or the equivalent.
- 'Doc

(As for climbing the things? My butt isn't going to get more than 10 feet off the ground unless it's firmly strapped into a pilot's seat! Chicken? @#$ right!)

It's expensive, sure. But re-doing a tower is always more expensive. If you're not ready to spend some money, you ain't ready for a tower. Especially an un-guyed Rohn 25 or the equivalent.
- 'Doc

(As for climbing the things? My butt isn't going to get more than 10 feet off the ground unless it's firmly strapped into a pilot's seat! Chicken? @#$ right!)

yep,doc is right.
It's what the people pay for and some what it cheap....1 day to mount and center the base..and then its climbing time bolting on each section..and that ain't cheap..and when you get about 50feet ,luging the sections up,it sucks
and :lol at you climbing chicken ,this is why i do these things:)
so i would agree,better to be safe then sorry every 30 feet no matter what tower..not to say some places are just making them cheaper..(crap wields, metal) i did fall 2 stories once because of a bad wield..my upper back learn a lesson on that fall :
;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.