• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

driver outputs

canoe

Oct 13, 2008
Eastern Ontario Canada
I have two boxes with different pills. First a ts667 with 1-2290 x 4-2879. Than a XForce ms700 with 1-1446 x 4-1446.
If my radio swings to 8 watts what are the driver pills output numbers. I know what the spec say.
4w in = 80 watts out on a 2290
7w in = 90 watts out on a 1446

So what I'm asking is are the 2879 finals being hit with 160 watts drive, and the 1446 finals with 100 watts?

I'm seeing around 450 out of the 667, and around 300 with the ms700.

With only 8 watts PEP drive your numbers are in the ballpark, watt meters will vary a little. You are making a false assumption when you arrived at your 160 watts drive number. A 2290 will never do 160 watts even if you double the drive wattage, it does not work that way. Amplifiers with a driver stage actually have padding or swamping resistors as part of the driver stage. This means the full 70-80 watts is never used.

A 667 is very much a low drive amp, for AM use a 1 - 1.75 watt dead key and 20 watts max PEP is all it needs. The Midnight Special is a custom built comp style amp, they can usually handle a bit more drive. Maybe 2-3 watts dead key and 30 watts PEP max. Both amps should be able to do 500-550 watts.

Amplifiers with a driver stage actually have padding or swamping resistors as part of the driver stage. This means the full 70-80 watts is never used.

A 667 is very much a low drive amp, for AM use a 1 - 1.75 watt dead key and 20 watts max PEP is all it needs.

True Dat.
Depending on the meter you are using, the numbers are fine, AVG meters readings are always going to be lower than a meter that reads Peak.
Always keep the drive low into a 667/667V.
Never Volt a Texas Star.
Put a fan on it.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the replies.
The voltage is always around 13.8
I've had these boxes for a few years now, and they have both served me well.
On the 667 It only needs 1/2 a watt key to see 100.
On the mf700 a 1 watt key brings me around 100 also.

So whats the point of monster swing if the 2290 only needs 4 watts and the 1446 need 7 watts to see full potential? And, with my radio swinging to 8 watts is the rest ( 4 watt extra - 2290, and 1 watt extra for 1446 ) just splatter?

I have two boxes with different pills. First a ts667 with 1-2290 x 4-2879. Than a XForce ms700 with 1-1446 x 4-1446.
If my radio swings to 8 watts what are the driver pills output numbers. I know what the spec say.
4w in = 80 watts out on a 2290
7w in = 90 watts out on a 1446

So what I'm asking is are the 2879 finals being hit with 160 watts drive, and the 1446 finals with 100 watts?

I'm seeing around 450 out of the 667, and around 300 with the ms700.

Looks like 9C1DRIVER answered your question.

I agree, and why they even make a 2x4 is beyond me. If I had my choice I would take a straight 4 pill over a 1x4 any day.

IMO they are there so you CAN drive the snot out of the amp and get a warm fuzzy feeling by slamming the RF power meter hard over while failing to realize that you have already exceeded the point of diminishing returns.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree, and why they even make a 2x4 is beyond me. If I had my choice I would take a straight 4 pill over a 1x4 any day.

2x4 amps are to drive 16 pills for competition events and they are EXTREMELY drive sensitive. I like straight 4 pills myself too with a separate driver amp.

Yeah..... I don't get it either.
The only reasoning I can make of it is that it allows for a wider choice of radios to choose from; And that might be important to some people.
But logically it don't make no sense.
I suppose it makes sense if you're into the competition shootout event thingy.
For example: Let's say a guy has an old midland radio that he's had for a long time and has had numerous mods done to it; There might be some kind of illogical sentimental attachment to the radio.
And since the Midlands did not respond real well to a tune and peak like the cobra/uniden radios it might need help to drive a class c two pill box.

What about the 2x2 some guys build!?!?

I think the driver-style amps are there for those of us without radio enough to sufficiently drive a straight four pill...I saw this with my own junk, I could barely get 250 watts from a 4x1446 box, but could get the full 600 out of 2879x4@2879 box with the same radio. The main thing I found was the driver boxes can be easily overdriven if you're not constantly watching them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.