• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dropped HR2510 no RX or TX??

KD0FBK

Aug 18, 2005
Paola, KS
I bought a 2510 that had been dropped.

It powers up, but that is it. If you jump mic connections 1-5 you get weak audio, and if you ground pin 5 you get normal volume, but it sounds like sideband.

I haven't tried TX with it yet, as I don't have a replacement connector for the mic yet. Is that a standard 5 pin? Would radio shack have that?

Shouldn't it RX even with the mic unplugged?

I examined inside did not find any cracked boards, the main damage appears to be to the face plate around the AM-FM and SWR knobs.

That is what I thought, I couldn't remeber for sure though as Rogerbird had my good 2510 right now!!

This one has no RX unless you short pin 5 of the mic to ground then you get RX.

No audio...

Does it have the Accessory jumper plug on the rear accessory jack? The radio will not have any rx audio on the internal Speaker without the jumper.
The Standard Jumper plug has one white wire connected from pin 1 to pin 7. This completes the connection to the internal Speaker.

Roger

Re-examine and re-examine the boards again. I can assure you that dropping a radio doesn't cause toasted semiconductors and the like. I have seen dropped gear that displayed no pcb cracks, yet a component lead had worked loose from the solder pad --- just the same IMHO. A loose lead from a small capacitor can be very difficult to locate, esp. if it's an electrolytic or IF xformer body hiding most of the offending lead. Use a hefty magnifying glass. Check for broken ground foil traces. Touch up any questionable looking solder joints.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.