• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dropped my radio!

Highland Ranger

Aug 28, 2005
ANd of course it landed on the circuit board and cracked it. (Was re-installing in the car and not paying attention.

It was a Midland 79-290 . . . liked it but the detachable faceplate broke pretty quickly so I don't think I want to get another.

So what should I get - needs to be front panel mounted microphone and no more than 7 1/4 by 2" faceplate . . .

(sigh)

Highland Ranger said:
ANd of course it landed on the circuit board and cracked it. (Was re-installing in the car and not paying attention.

It was a Midland 79-290 . . . liked it but the detachable faceplate broke pretty quickly so I don't think I want to get another.

So what should I get - needs to be front panel mounted microphone and no more than 7 1/4 by 2" faceplate . . .

(sigh)

Highland,

I was looking at the 79-290. Does the face simply detach for security, or is it remotely operable with the the radio in the trunk. Just curious.

CWM

C W Morse said:
Highland Ranger said:

(sigh)

Highland,

I was looking at the 79-290. Does the face simply detach for security, or is it remotely operable with the the radio in the trunk. Just curious.

CWM

just for security like a am/fm detachable car radio.

on another note, just looked at the 257 and it shows a frequency range north of CB/SSB . . . . what's the deal - does kt need to be modified to function on CB frequencies and if so, what's the benefit over a peaked and tuned Galaxy 959?

It's an export, so it needs to be modified for 11m. The 257 will do about 30 watts on ssb. It's main advantage is the size and the memory function. My experience with those radios is that the RX is fairly poor, but a lot of people like them.

My faceplate hasn't had any latch issues and I have removed it many times and everytime the truck goes in for service or inspection. As for a cracked PC board, is the faceplate PCB the one that's cracked? With some patience and a proper sized/low wattage pencil, it may be able to be repaired. I've fixed countless cracked PC boards and vigilant attention to the many foil traces is paramount to getting things working again. I know that PLL face board has some darn narrow traces about the width of human hairs!

The Midland was about 6 months old - got it through amazon.com - it was version 1.3 which I think is the latest.

I looked at the board, the radio landed on its volume knob which is bent. My dad is going to take a crack at fixing it (Korean war signal corps) - if he can get it going again (and I bet he can) he is going to use it.

My 40 something eyes were having trouble seeing the copper . . . . .think he uses a big magnifying glass these days.

Re faceplate - it was actually a consistent complaint posted on Amazon.com. I was very careful with it, but happened anyway and I didn't really use the feature more than a dozen times or so.

THe piece that removes was fine as neither it nor the mic were on the radio when they fell. Board that broke is the one that sits vertical in the radio and has the 4 controls wired to it.

Good news is I am getting a better radio! (and no, I didn't break that one on purpose . . . . or at least that's what I told the Mrs.)

;-)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.