• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dummy Load Question

I wouldn't dare put more than 100W CW into that box.
500W? Maybe for a few seconds.
100% agree Mike. I have a MFJ-264 and the build quality is actually very good - I got lucky with mine, it looks nice and flat on a VNA up to 500MHz as well (650MHz as quoted is not so good). But I do consider this as a "good" 100W load, that can handle small amounts of higher PEP, up to 500W for very short periods of time, but that is all. It gets hot quickly if you ask more of it.

What is nice though, is adding a simple -40dB sample port. I use this load a lot at 100W or less, because it is lightweight and handy for quick tests. (And you can never have too many RF sample ports in the shack!)

264.png

Last edited:
I made this one using an old PC heat sync cut in half. This one has a 250w resistor inside, I wrote 50w on it for the next person, but I assume it will at least take 100w for brief moments or 50w for maybe a minute uncooled. Good enough for what I do. This was a 2am drunken endeavor and since I don't own a mill I knew looks were not important so I only tapped the resistor holes and went with wood screws to attach the other half. Works good.
IMG_20240130_200333163.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.