• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX 949 Sound/speaker failure?

WT 10

May 8, 2024
Talking dx on my recently acquired 949. It's going great and I'm making loads of contacts on 12 watts. Suddenly the sound cuts out. Still receiving because I see the needle moving. Transmits too...just no sound. So bummed. Any ideas? I appreciate you all.

When you say it's transmitting good, do you mean it is transmitting with audio still? Or is it just transmitting a dead carrier ? Does it have a mic like a Cobra radio where there is no receive audio when the mic isn't plugged in ? If so it could be a mic wiring problem.....

When you say it's transmitting good, do you mean it is transmitting with audio still? Or is it just transmitting a dead carrier ? Does it have a mic like a Cobra radio where there is no receive audio when the mic isn't plugged in ? If so it could be a mic wiring problem.....
When I keyed the mic and spoke, the meter showed the telltale signs of active broadcasting, except that I could hear othing from the speaker. The meter also showed that the radio was receiving. This all occurred very suddenly. I had been operating for an hour or so.

When I keyed the mic and spoke, the meter showed the telltale signs of active broadcasting, except that I could hear othing from the speaker. The meter also showed that the radio was receiving. This all occurred very suddenly. I had been operating for an hour or so.
We just had another guy with a similar issue with a connex 3400, similar board and also made by ranger. He had a cold solder joint at one of the electrolytics. From the audio ic, chase the path back to the speaker jack.

Or as @Shadetree Mechanic stated the speaker jack gets dunked up as well.

Reactions: BC Coyote and WT 10
made by ranger. He had a cold solder joint
Very common problem with Ranger products. Remember, Galaxy and Connex are just Ranger radios wearing different clothes......
Try tapping the circuit board with something non-conductive and see if you can find a spot where the audio cuts in and out. That will give you an idea where to start looking.........

Reactions: doffo

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.