• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX1600 input tuning

Ratfink

Sep 28, 2011
Oklahoma
How does one tune the input. I've chased my high reflect issue down to input tuning of this amp and need help with finding it. This will be my first tuning session I have my Mfj-259b for checking so I'm covered . It's either tuning or my relay I have replaced the keying transistor and not luck it loves to oscillate at random times and stick on transmit about half way knock my incoming signal way down.

I had a 'SWEET 16' once before.
I used it on all the bands.
Even on top-band.
What is the SWR number you are seeing and tell me how you are measuring it.
The SWR on that amp might be power dependant.

Not a sticky relay but a relay with intermittant contact issues.
If I were to try and determine the impedance mismatch into this amplifier then I would use a standard issue SWR meter and deadkey about 50 watts into the amp and then look at the SWR meter.
Be careful about using the analyzer into an amplifier.
You might run into an amp that is having a problem and blow up the anaylyzer.

Reactions: 2 people
The 4 yellow cables/fuse holders that are furnished with the DX 1600 tend to go bad. It is often overlooked because it is not an öbvious problem, but one that manifests intermittently as you have described. If your unit has such fuse holders, I'd suggest to take a minute to check continuity while 'wiggling' the cable at each side of the fuse holder. Good luck!

How could that manifest itself as a relay with a dirty contact?
If those cables/fuse holders were the problem I think it would be more obvious to the user.

Wish I could provide you with a more technical explanation, but all I can do is to share my personal experience. Please see my disclaimer 'if your unit has such fuse holders'. The blade fuse holders (molds) that I've referenced, do tend to go bad with time, especially the ones used on the beefier TS amps. If this happens at a time of peak current demand, the amp will starve. I've seen technicians going for dirty contacts and changing relays, just to have the same symptoms again. Checking continuity of these wires with a VOM don't take much time, and may just save you lots of time, money and headaches.

Well sometime soon ill dig into it. I'm not to worried about it I ordered some 465 trimmer caps just incase it is input tuning my trusty bird 43 should lead my in the right direction. I can say that at a 450 watt carriers had 1/2 watt reflect that measured after the box and it doesn't get hot at all. Ill test between my driver and the big box and see where we are at I'm still betting on the relay but I may be wrong

Wish I could provide you with a more technical explanation, but all I can do is to share my personal experience. Please see my disclaimer 'if your unit has such fuse holders'. The blade fuse holders (molds) that I've referenced, do tend to go bad with time, especially the ones used on the beefier TS amps. If this happens at a time of peak current demand, the amp will starve. I've seen technicians going for dirty contacts and changing relays, just to have the same symptoms again. Checking continuity of these wires with a VOM don't take much time, and may just save you lots of time, money and headaches.

He said his receive would come back if he tapped on the relay.
Maybe you don't understand the situation here.
If he removed the power cables from the amplifier then he could still have a change-over relay contact problem.
I hope this clears this up for you.
You are meandering down the wrong path is you continue to pursue this line of thought.

There is a forum member named TexasStarRepair, you might get with him and see what he thinks. His name should be self explanatory per this thread.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.