• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX959 issues

The Jerk

May 6, 2008
Reading, PA
My 959 just started being off frequency this week, I can see it fluctuate in the display, which it never did before. I've been told by several people on SSB, that I am way off frequency on SSB...

Is this a common thing in the 959? The radio was fine two weeks ago, then it sat, and now it has issues...it was initially set up by a respected technician.

I am considering replacing it with a Grant I have, if this is going be an issue every six months.

I would hope this is a very minor issue. How long have you had the radio, if less than 2 years and even if you are not the original owner you could probably get it covered as long as you haven't done any major modifications. Good luck.

yes if 2 yrs or less you can have it warrantied. sounds like it needs an alignment which is not uncommon. i need one on my 959 as well. have it aligned...tons of mods for that radio so i wouldnt be too quick to run and trade it for a grant. grants are great radios but after having my 959 all done up i think it will out talk a grant. i say this not to insult grant owners but because i have a 148 GTL (same as grant) and although my 148 is a fantastic sounding radio, after mods and sitting side by side my 959 easily overpowers & out talks the 148

I dont think it will be a simple as an alignment; and not to argue about which radio is better than another. To beat a dead horse let just say that the Grant has been and is still a much better radio on SSB than the 959 will ever be even without having a frequency counter to watch. On Am I think they are both very good radios; and if you loaded both radio with similiar toys the Grant would still have the advantage on SSB(it is much more stable and stays on frequency better than the 959) and this has been proven through out the years and years the Grant has been around. As far a power even the new mosfet 959 will only put out 4-6w more maybe, it may have a nudge more modulation but not enough to stomp the Grant. All in all I would buy a Grant XL any day and pay a premium for it; the 959 not so much more than the $119 refurbished at Sparkys. The Grants even several years old with no toys command $140+, that kind of tells you the quality of this radio. Thats more than enough beating of that dead horse.

As a follow up (forgot I even started this thread)...turns out there was absolutely nothing wrong with the radio. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. It was on dead on frequency, with no drifting...crystal clear on SSB. We even hooked it back up in my truck and it talked fine (to make sure it wasn't my set up).

So I'm wondering if it was just the conditions that day? I did talk with a guy in Canada that day (conditions were rough), and then started getting reports (elsewhere) that I was off frequency.

I actually got a good deal on this radio, NIB for $100. I liked the looks of this radio, and only afterwards stumbled on a NIB Grant and a second Grant in trade. After having both, I actually like the classic look of the Grant...and it doesn't perform too bad either...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.