• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX959 No audio out

petey_racer

Sep 16, 2006
Upstate, NY
I have a DX959 that I did the EKL2030 dual final mod to. It was not doing any more power than before the mod so I decided to revert back to stock to see what might have gone wrong. I know that even new parts can be bad.
Before the mod I was dk at around 8 watts and swinging to 20+. After the mod I was dk at around 5 and swinging to 15.
Obviously something went wrong.

After reverting back to stock I am dk back to around 8 watts, but I have no modulation and NO swing. It is as if I am only dead keying and not speaking into the mic. I do get a small amount of audio in talk back, but nothing like it was.

Also, what could I have done to the EKL mod? I have a good clue about this stuff and can solder quite well. I know I had everything where it should be and did not miss any parts in or out.
Possible as simple as a bad part?

Any help for a humble newbie.

galaxy 959

For the first part of your problem;
a. Did you realign the radio after the ERF mod? All of them I have done, had to be.

b. Did you use anything for test equiptment, other than a wattmeter or modulation meter?

For the second part of your problem;

a. check for a solder bridge or cold solder joint.
b. Check for the part you may have put in backwards.
c. Recheck all work one step at a time.
D. What exactly is the radio doing now? RX? TX? Meter movement? etc.

I've successfully seen 40 + watts after conversion for the dual finals. Every time I didn't was because I had done something wrong. I don't believe you have a faulty part, just something not done quite right.
marven :roll:

I am just remembering this post, sorry for the long delay in replying.
I tried the single final mod after I was having problems and it is working fine now, although not near 40 watts. I do agree that it was most likely something I did as opposed to a bad part.
Even though I did re-check all my work I think I'll go back and try the dual final mod again. I really would like to get it working with that as opposed to the single final.

I am only working with a watt meter and volt & logic meters. For mod I was just using the radio.
I am working on getting some decent meters for diagnostics.

Thanks for the reply.

40 watts some Petey ,others not. sounds like your 959 was doing fairly well the way it was with power in perspective. Marv was right about the radio needing alighned to a degree to maybe get a little more.Very good to hear your 959 is doing better, I've really come to like those radios over the last few years. I think for the price and performance and looks you really can't go wrong on those radios , and the audio on them are very nice to say the least. Peace

i agree with switch kit. very good radios for the buck. have 4 of them now and looking to get a 5th.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.