• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Easy Radio Mount

Stever

Jul 15, 2008
Ontario, Canada
The picture quality isn't the best but you get the idea. I got a scrap piece of aluminum 5 inches wide by 16 inches long and bent it into an L shape. It's pulled away from the seat so that you can see it better. After I took the picture I slid it back.

radio2.jpg

The radio mount is bolted to the short part of the L. The long part of the aluminum sits underneath the seat frame, but you can put a small sock with sand in it on the inside of the L mount to stop it from moving. This is in a 2008 Ford Ranger and hasn't moved yet.

Not a bad idea at all,I will remember that one

I used a pair of 'L' brackets to mount my 2 meter mobil in my truck,already drilled for mounting to the underside of dash and for the screws to radio

And just for grins... If that Yaesu is typical, the bottom of the case is a heatsink. Mounting it against/touching that aluminum 'L' just means more heat 'sinking' area. Not bad.
- 'Doc

I don't know about a Bravada, but can you slide a flat piece of aluminum under the middle part and rest the radio against the cushion? It's accessible yet out of the way.

Here is how the console is. It goes all the way forward. I normally just lean it against the console on the passenger side. I really don't want to drill holes in it as I have seen some people do. I can't put it in the large compartment in the console as it is the location of the factory CD changer.

bravada2.jpg

I have a 99 Bravada. It has a full console. Anyone have any ideas for mounting a radio ?

I have a 97 Blazer, radio is an Icom 2710, mounted on the back of the console with the head just to the left on the power points. I put a speaker in the overhead console so I don't have to turn it up too loud for back seat passengers.

Just trying to find a place that is not in the way or requires to drill holes affecting the quality of the interior. I would use it for a Grantxl or HR2600. I guess it isn't the best vehicle to do this with. A lot easier in a truck.

Sonwatcher,is there a cubby hole that is located in the dash by chance?If there is one you might could take out the cubby box and rig a mount of some kind say attached to the under side of the broadcast radio mounts somehow?

That would be about the only way that I could think off hand

I am not familar with the enterior of a Bravada though

I know some may not be familiar with an Old's Bravada. Here is one identical to mine.

bravada4.jpg

Here is the interior-

bravada3.jpg

It doesn't have any cubby holes as some vehicles do. I guess the only thing I know to do is see if there is any place to hold the bracket under the dash as to not interfere with driving. The clamp mount is a good idea but this seat is one that is motorized and turns every which way plus it is heated and heater fans underneath for the passenger area so there isn't much room with all the gadgetry under there. With the console going all the way to the dash makes it hard to find a good place out of the way. Just thought maybe someone had some ideas. Thanks for the ones shared !

Is there an overhead divider in that by chance? I know some SUVs have a storage area and a map light that is mounted to the ceiling.That would be my next area to look at.

How about removing the ashtray and mounting there,I have seen several radios mounted in the ashtray slot,..remove ashtray and mounting hardware and mount radio in place?

From the pictures you have provided there isnt to many mounting options :unsure:

Last edited:
Over head the console is the digital read out for weather,mileage,etc map lights, and switches for moon roof. No open space. You're right. Not much mounting options LOL ! One thing I did think of is mounting a Uniden 510xl under the dash as close to the console as I can if there is someplace to bolt to. I guess I can just do what I've been doing. I had a Ford F-150 that was nice for mounting the radios. I bought an interior matched overhead console from JC Whitney that worked great. They are made to match your vehicle -

console.jpg

From that last pic you posted I see what looks like a shelf above the windshield that is holding several items.....If that small shelf so to say is sturdy enough,how about mounting the radio under that shelf just above and in front of the rear view.

What I done to run the coax and power leads was to get a few tubes of crazy glue gel and run the wires right along the window seal and glue them in place where they were out of the way and pretty well out of site,I left just enough play in the coax and power wires that I could easly connect and disconnect as needed.Or if your SUV has a trim piece along the edge of teh window just run the power leads and coax behind the trim

In my truck.a 75 Chevy I mounted my Icom 2200H on the top of teh cab just over the rear view mirror using small shelf brackets to hold radio solidly in place.I am willing to almost bet that I could hang off the brackets and not pull them down ;)

You keep posting pics and I am willing to bet that a mounting place will be found :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.