• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ebay

Here is Ebay's policy-

Extended coverage high frequency transceivers: Equipment that is intended to operate in various radio services in the high frequency radio spectrum, including "10-meter" Amateur Radio Service (ARS) equipment, can be listed. However, sellers can't list high frequency transceivers that are designed to operate on frequencies outside of the ARS bands unless the transceiver has been issued a grant of equipment authorization by the FCC.
  • CB amplifiers: Examples of items that aren't allowed include:
    • CB amplifiers
    • Amplifiers specified for use on the 11-meter band
    • Amplifiers designed for use in frequencies 24 MHz to 35MHz
    • Amplifiers posted within the CB category
    • CB radios that are amplified to exceed 4 watts using the AM settings or 12 watts using the SSB settings
Granted people may not like the restrictions but again they are a private site that has chosen to try to incorporate FCC guidelines in their restrictions. People don't have to sell there. It is up to the seller to make sure his item is allowed to be sold on their site. If they go ahead and list it they take the chance of it being noticed and pulled.

We are talking about a 949 here folks. No question about it, the radio is legal no matter how you look at it. That is why I asked for information about people getting email regarding CB radios, not 10 meter Amateurs.

There is no reason for ebay to pull a 949 unless it has been modified and you are stating the mods in the ad.

Ebay handles site complaints now with actual customer service reps. Call them up and have them explain to you what their problem is.

Do I have to hand you their phone number or can you find that for yourself?

We are talking about a 949 here folks. No question about it, the radio is legal no matter how you look at it. That is why I asked for information about people getting email regarding CB radios, not 10 meter Amateurs.

Has the radio ever been modified in any way? Unless you can prove that every radio that was pulled were in factory stock condition then you have nothing.

The radio is new in the box. I have one email from customer service saying all 949s are illegal. Just looking for more evidence here

Well you can pull and send 50 ads from new seller sites showing them that a 949 is a plain-straight CB and then see what they say about it.

Just went and counted....there are currently 21 949's listed for sale on ebay. Call them and ask them why these OTHER ones are okay but yours isn't.

I would send them the specs straight off of Galaxy's site and ask them to point out which spec makes it illegal.

Like the man said, there are 949's all over eBay right now. I would be curious to know how the 949 in question was listed.

If you have tried to sell something on eBay -that eBay in their limited legal knowledge had removed- you may have been sent something that looks like this:

"...Unfortunately, we had to remove your listing because the following information violates our policy:

Certain equipment is considered unlawful by the Federal Communications Commission and not allowed to be sold on eBay. The product you are trying to list is considered one of them. Please do not relist this item. If you would like further information, please contact the FCC.

eBay prohibits listings for some types of electronic equipment, including equipment that has been declared illegal by U.S. agencies such as the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Some high frequency radio transceivers, including "10 Meter" Amateur Radio Service (ARS) equipment, are permitted.

However, high frequency transceivers designed to operate on frequencies outside the ARS bands can cause interference with other radio services (such as the Private Land Mobile Radio Services, Maritime Services, Auxiliary Broadcast Services, International Broadcasting Services, the Citizens Band Radio Service, and the U.S. Government). For this reason, listings for the following items are not permitted on eBay:

- CB amplifiers
- Amplifiers specified for use on the 11 meter band
- Amplifiers designed for use in frequencies 24 MHz to 35MHz
- Amplifiers posted on eBay in the "CB" category
- CB radios that are amplified to exceed 4 Watts (using AM settings) or 12 Watts (using SSB settings)..."

Ebay doesn't want a lawsuit from either side.
"Either side"- you say?
Sure; because their attorneys are obviously ignorant of FCC law and don't know which end is up.
Or a disgruntled Ham may seek legal retribution against eBay - even though they don't have a legal leg to stand on.
Ignorant - because if they were aware of Part 15 they would know that "Export Radios' are legally sold in this country. The US Govt collected import duties on them. In fact, so long as they aren't modified from their original condition, they are just as legal to own, operate, and resell as any other piece of radio equipment can be.

I think what happens - due partially to their legal ignorance- is that a Ham will report each post he doesn't like with a copy/paste form letter to eBay. This individual -or these individuals- simply squawk the loudest in their own ignorance and get their way.

Personally, I think a lawsuit would be frivolous and unfounded. However, admonishing the Administrators of eBay and informing them of the ignorance of their own legal department in this matter would be a well-struck blow- IMO.

:oops::bdh::pop:

Anyone who tried to sell a certified CB on ebay and got the ad pulled because of a claim the radio was illegal, let me know. Looking to sue ebay for this crap.

You are going to file a lawsuit against Ebay because they pulled your auction........you are kidding, I hope.
Ebay has become a joke but suing them over something so minor won't solve anything.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.