• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Echo board help for a new guy

mockstar

Oct 29, 2014
Why is the TRB-X3 listed "Ready to rock for the plug and play installer," if it has 8 wires that have to be soldered in to get it hooked up? Guess I was misled.

After 2 days of looking for detailed vids of an install in my radio, and coming up with nothing, everywhere I read I see guys talking about how easy it is to install and echo board into a CB. I watched the vid of a trb-x2 being installed in a Cobra 29, but my Galaxy has a circuit board behind the mic jack, and the wires are coming from a plug on the PCB.

I've been staring at this instruction sheet for a while now, and I'm still not confident in what wires actually need to go where.

Does anyone have detailed pics of where the wires need to be soldered on? Even more helpful would be to know where I have switched 13.8V.....do I have to solder the wires to the copper side of the PCB, or can I just splice the wires? The board I have is an RF Limited TRB-X3, and the radio is Galaxy 939.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm completely new at this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

look at this layout of the mic jack area. it shows you what color wire goes where. you can cut the audio and ground wire and solder them to the in and out connectors on the echo board. you can get 13.8 volts for power at the on off switch. just see which wire is hot all the time and which wire is hot when you turn the radio on. solder it to the hot after the switch is turned on. then solder the ground wire for the single ground wire to the circuit board ground. you have a ground on each lead with the in and out hookups for the audio and a ground for the 13.8 volt circuit. put the one for the 13.8 volts to the ground on the board. then you will have to follow the instructions on adjusting the echo board to the radio.. hope this helps you. it is a very simple addon. make sure you solder all the leads then put something on them for insulation so not to short out any thing. I use shrink tubing that I slide over the wires before I solder them together then slide them down over the solder joint and heat them to make them tight. do not try to use wire terminals to put the wires together.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx939/dx939_mic_pcb.htm

For simplicity and ease of install.....echo mic.
But seriously, I found having a magnifying glass / light combo really important when dealing with circuit boards as a newbie working on a radio. Follow what sonoma stated will be do good.

The first time is always the most nerve racking... and you don't always get it right the first try

Yeah. It took me about 3 tries to figure it out.

I had the brown ground wire, and the red 8v wire break off the mic PCB from me moving it around too much. It was my first time soldering anything, so that was learning experience. Somehow the little wire on the antenna jack came loose. Probly from me hooking the coax in and out too much and the plug itself worked loose, rotated, and broke the connection.....that needed to be re-soldered. LOL it was frustrating. But now after knowing what goes where, especially the switched power from the copper side of the board, and how to get a good solder joint, I think it'd take me about 5 mins to the next one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.