• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

EDC-5B or EDC-6 (12v regulated vs direct)

deputyjoel

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 18, 2009
Hi All,

Happy Thanksgiving Day! I haven't started the turkey yet, so I thought I would jump on the forum! I just bought a VX-8R and I am trying to decide if I should get the EDC-5B (filtered and regulated) or the EDC-6 (direct DC in), I know the EDC-6 does not have a cigarette plug, but I have lots of them! The cost is a lot less with the EDC-6, but I wanted to get the opinion of those with more knowledge about the application of direct, un-filtered and un-regulated 12v DC into the VX-8R. The information on the VX-8R says this should not be a problem and they sell the EDC-6 cable. What do you guys think? Is this OK?

what would be wrong with adding some filter caps across the power leads? it has a operating voltage range of 10 to 16 volts so as long as you stay within that limit you should be fine, go below or above and you risk damaging microprocessors and other key devices.

The filtered cable is to help reduce or eliminate any engine noise that can come into the radio from the powerline. You can always just get the cheaper cable, try it out and see if you have any engine noise first. Be sure to ask others on the air if they hear any in your transmissions, as well. You can always filter it yourself later if you need to. The advantage of the filtered cable is that it's all done for you already in a nice compact package so you don't have to worry about it.

add the appropiate filter cap and cig. plug and make your own!
cost will be 10$ compared to 25$
it will be rare that you will need shielded power wire.
Robert

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.