• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Egypt Internet/Media Services blocked 1/28

ONAWHIM

Jan 12, 2011
Southeastern CT on L.I. Sound

The news services are reporting an apparent shutdown of internet, broadcast radio, including social services to stem what is to be a national protest today.

Are there amateur operators communicating news out of Egypt?

To be clear, this is meant to ask about the use of amateur radio in that area, not intended as political discussion.

William

Last edited:

It would definitely score a point for emcomm. I doubt they're organized enough to take advantage of hams though.

Interesting, last night i was reading about the Falklands War in 1982. First news of the Argentine actions were from amateur radio operators there.

Today with the world so dependent on the internet having it blocked leaves many without a means of getting the news out, or in.

William

I'm not sure just how active Egypt is on the air having only heard amateurs from there on a dozen occasions or so but then again I am not that active myself. I'm sure we'll here a lot about it on the news as news affiliates beam their footage via satellite back stateside. The whole shutdown of internet etc was to stem the organizing of protesters using facebook, twitter etc. to rally up demonstrators.

This bring up another thought for me. If by chance (and a pretty good chance) our government decided to shut the internet down, can they also block or scramble Ham frequencies so they are unusable to us?

Never the less. An interesting topic the OP asks.
I'm on 2M/440CM and 10-11 meter.
Don't have the "big rigs" most of you have out there and might be able to reach out that way.
Will watch this thread with interest.
tracker.

A couple of things to keep in mind, any Egyptian radio op is probably going to be extra careful about what they say on the air, if they say anything at all. Second, without a third party agreement anything other than personal remarks between the two operators is prohibited.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.