• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Electrolytic Cap replacement value ??'s

PLUMMER

Sep 10, 2012
Michigan
I have a 29 LTD that had some blown diodes and 3 E-caps that are blown/don't test to spec/or bulging .

I don't have the exact caps to replace them but I do have slightly larger new ones with either same voltage or a bit higher.

100uf.25v ........can a 220 or 470uf.25v be used
10uf50v-105*........can a 100or470uf50v-105* be used only high temp ones I have close
33uf50v.........to 100uf25v

thanks

is there anyway to test the ceramic caps or do they ever go bad? thanks

Using a larger cap in a circuit depends on the circuit function. It might be okay....it might throw the circuit performance off. Small caps like this are cheap. Just buy the ones you need.

All caps should be testable for capacitance level with a capacitance meter like an LCR Meter.

Good luck

Thanks will do. My meter just doesn't test lower than .01uf or 10nf nothing lower than this, and I dont have a leakage meter. Appreciate the info

The higher value capacitors will draw more surge current when you turn the radio on; just the nature of the beast. If the power supply can handle it, no problem.

But I agree with Mr. Weasel -- buy the values you need. Radio Shack still carries these, except maybe for the high-temp variety.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.