• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

End of An ERA FCC to Drop Code

He he ,,, you like Tony?

churchsign.jpg

LMAO?? That is way to funny. Hey can I save those and make them my desktop wallpaper say yes cause ya know Im doin it anyways L :LOL: L

dxhound said:
Im not sure I like the Idea of droping code requirements. Now any "chicken bander" can easily get a ticket and start the same bologna as on the 11 meter band. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy the BSing on 11meter but I dont want that to head into the amateur bands.

Lets see, CW certainly has kept the "chicken bander types" :roll: off 80, 40, and 20 meters. Is all that profanity and jamming I'm hearing, my imagination, or are those folks CW qualified? :shock: CW does not make a better Amateur operator, good practice does.

Guess CW really played a part in keeping the air ways clean. YEAH RIGHT :!:

held off awhile in commenting, but...

i really wanted to see how this developed here before posting...and it seems to have developed along the same lines as every other "code vs. no-code" discussion i've seen in the various forums.

first, read the entire R&O...there is a whole discussion on why the FCC moved in the direction they did at this time, why they ruled against keeping the code requirement, etc.
also, the CW-only sections of the various bands are still there for anyone that wants to persue CW. there is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from continuing to utilize or learn code.

IMHO, what this *will* do is bring more technically adept people into the hobby. it isn't going to bring in more rif-raff...there's no change in the rules regarding selling equipment to non-licensed personnel: which would be the solution to that issue.
many complain that the hobby is dying, while others complain the bands are too crowded...so i can't say for sure which is true.

a stat i thought was sort of revealing: there are about 700,000-something licensed amateurs in the US, and the FCC had just under 7,000 comments on this topic. for all the lamenting i see, it seems only 1% were strident enough to actually write and comment on the record...hardly a ground-swell of opposition.

second, i think this really speaks to the nature of how people see the hobby. IMHO, learning code is NOT what differentiates amateur radio operators from other hobbyists. what *does* differentiate amateurs from others is technical knowledge. i think the whole code / no-code debate has *really* been overblown into the hingepin on which amateur radio dies or lives...and i simply don't see it that way.
listen to a quasi-technical discussion on CB about the technicalities of the hobby sometime. there's little to no knowledge about the finer points of RF. i'm *not* an amateur, and i can hear the difference...and i can see it in the posts, too, for the most part.

my personal opinion is that, while morse code may have a certain usefulness under some conditions, it is by no means an efficient means of communications; and it certainly doesn't demonstrate technical proficiency. i think it's far more difficult to master the technical aspects than morse code.

that being said, i've never tested for any amateur license, specifically because i had no interest in learning morse code. i would be *far* more likely to test for it now--and i don't think i'm the only one. but if i do, i would go straight for general--because i think the test is actually (based on the question pool) a better technical demonstration of skills.

...just my opinon.

Well.....

for those who took the code..
and feel because they have the code done and learned..

it often seems those who passed tests for code..
seem to feel they are better then those..who didnt pass code..

i disagree with that attitude..
However if it makes them feel better..

there are many exotic contacts that chose only to use CW mode
so therefore only those who know code will be able to continue those exotic contacts..

if that is not enough for code users...
then it is just too bad..

MERRY XMAS ALL
and HAPPY HOLLIDAYS to All

:D i was just thinking what would be the purpose of upgrading past general now becuase all you would gain is some spectrum allowcated for cw? hopefully they release it soon on the federal registry then i'll just pay the $15 bucks for the upgrade to general and be done with it.

rfoverlord said:
:D i was just thinking what would be the purpose of upgrading past general now becuase all you would gain is some spectrum allowcated for cw? hopefully they release it soon on the federal registry then i'll just pay the $15 bucks for the upgrade to general and be done with it.
There is also more spectrum for phone use with the extra.

there is also a big power boost, untill you get your general you are limited to 200 watts. once you get your general you are allowed up to 1500 watts on bands that allow it. keep in mind you will need to do a system eval before you send that much rf into the air.

:D thanks guys, over all i think there will be a BIG!! surge of generals. As far as the equipment check it's built for at least 2K never pushed more esp. 160M, now it's never more than a 1/2 gal. for some reason i was never into heavy contesting kick back and bs about nothing is my style. :D :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.