• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

End of an Era

datsun66

Apr 10, 2005
Lewistown, Montana
End of an Era: FCC to Drop Morse Testing for All Amateur License Classes
NEWINGTON, CT, Dec 15, 2006 -- In an historic move, the FCC has acted to drop the Morse code requirement for all Amateur Radio license classes. The Commission today adopted a Report and Order (R&O) in WT Docket 05-235. In a break from typical practice, the FCC only issued a public notice at or about the close of business and not the actual Report & Order, so some details -- including the effective date of the R&O -- remain uncertain. Also today, the FCC also adopted an Order on Reconsideration, in WT Docket 04-140 -- the "omnibus" proceeding -- agreeing to modify the Amateur Radio rules in response to an ARRL request to accommodate automatically controlled narrowband digital stations on 80 meters in the wake of rule changes that became effective today at 12:01 AM Eastern Time. The Commission said it will carve out the 3585 to 3600 kHz frequency segment for such operations. Prior to the long-awaited action on the Morse code issue, Amateur Radio applicants for General and higher class licenses had to pass a 5 WPM Morse code test to operate on HF. The Commission said today's R&O eliminates that requirement for General and Amateur Extra applicants.

"This change eliminates an unnecessary regulatory burden that may discourage current Amateur Radio operators from advancing their skills and participating more fully in the benefits of Amateur Radio," the FCC said. The ARRL had asked the FCC to retain the 5 WPM for Amateur Extra class applicants only. The FCC proposed earlier to drop the requirement across the board, however, and it held to that decision in today's R&O.

Perhaps more important, the FCC's action in WT Docket 05-235 appears to put all Technician licensees on an equal footing: Once the R&O goes into effect, holders of Technician class licenses will have equivalent HF privileges, whether or not they've passed the 5 WPM Element 1 Morse examination. The FCC said the R&O in the Morse code docket would eliminate a disparity in the operating privileges for the Technician and Technician Plus class licensees. Technician licensees without Element 1 credit (ie, Tech Plus licensees) currently have operating privileges on all amateur frequencies above 30 MHz.

"With today's elimination of the Morse code exam requirements, the FCC concluded that the disparity between the operating privileges of Technician Class licensees and Technician Plus Class licensees should not be retained," the FCC said in its public notice. "Therefore, the FCC, in today's action, afforded Technician and Technician Plus licensees identical operating privileges."

The wholesale elimination of a Morse code requirement for all license classes ends a longstanding national and international regulatory tradition in the requirements to gain access to Amateur Radio frequencies below 30 MHz. The first no-code license in the US was the Technician ticket, instituted in 1991. The question of whether or not to drop the Morse requirement altogether has been the subject of often-heated debate over the past several years, but the handwriting has been on the wall. A number of countries, including Canada, no longer require applicants for an Amateur Radio license to pass a Morse code test to gain HF operating privileges. The list has been increasing regularly.

The FCC said today's R&O in WT Docket 05-235 comports with revisions to the international Radio Regulations resulting from the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) World Radiocommunication Conference 2003 (WRC-03). At that gathering, delegates agreed to authorize each country to determine whether or not to require that applicants demonstrate Morse code proficiency in order to qualify for an Amateur Radio license with privileges on frequencies below 30 MHz.

Typically, the effective date of an FCC Order is 30 days after it appears in the Federal Register. That would mean the Morse requirement and the revised 80-meter segment for automatically controlled digital stations would likely not go into effect until late January 2007.

The ARRL will provide any additional information on these important Part 97 rule revisions as it becomes available.

personally i like it, i think its a wonderfull thing for the hobby as long as there is still areas where cw is the only transmission allowed.

I also like it. It does not end the use of Morse code in ham land but does end it as a un needed block to the hf bands. I say about time. If you like Morse code use it but if you will never need it or plan on using it than why test for it and make it a unneeded block to advancing in the bands and ranks of hamdom.
Heck just because I did it back in the late 60's does not say someone needs to test for it in the 21st century.
It's not gone just not used for testing anymore.
I still wonder when they (the FCC) will just give a open book test and collect their money and call it a day. Heck they almost do it now. Yep how about on line tests or a test by mail service. :roll:

Well, if you think about it, this should give the hobby a big shot in the arm. I personally have been studying for the Tech license. I have some friends up here that have been on my case to get my ticket back. So I guess I will take the plunge. Maybe even take the old hf gear out of moth balls. :D :D :D

Well, if you think about it, this should give the hobby a big shot in the arm.

You're right. Although, I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about it. But fair is fair: I only needed 5 WPM to get my Extra Class ticket, whereas those who got their Advanced Class licenses before me needed 20 WPM (I think), so they must have felt the same way when that requirement was dropped.

While eliminating the code requirement is good for the hobby, what's really squeezing the life out of us, IMHO, are CCRs that prohibit outside antennas. Eliminating those, or rather making them unenforceable by some superceding FCC reg., would be the biggest possible shot in the arm for amateur radio.

Paris -

The Advanced class license required only a 13 WPM code test, but a harder written test than the one for General. The Extra class license was where the 20 WPM speed applied, and a real ballbreaker of a written test.

Some who held both the Advanced and Extra claimed the Advanced test was harder than the Extra. I suspect, however, that they took the Advanced test while still relatively new to radio. By the time they were truly ready for Extra (both in terms of code speed and technical know-how) the Extra test just seemed easier.

And everyone: don't forget that the R&O has apparently NOT been issued:

In a break from typical practice, the FCC only issued a public notice at or about the close of business and not the actual Report and Order, so some details -- including the effective date of the R&O -- remain uncertain. The public notice is located at

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-269012A1.pdf.

We've all known that the FCC is GOING to issue this R&O, but we still don't know WHEN, so this announcement really doesn't provide any new information.

datsun66 said:
The thing I worry about is the 10 meter band becoming another 11 meter band with all of the not heads playing music thinking they are a brodcast station. :twisted:

You just wait until Mexico drops the code...then white man really going to squirm.

:D :D :D well i really didn't care either way about the the whole code issue, at least now i can get full use of my ft-847 and now i have a reason to buy a new rotor and antenna. facing the inevitable deployment to iraq i joined a couple of groups with hams in iraq and they sent me my application for an iraqi call, i was also informed that i would have hf available to me as they had dropped the code requirement in itu region 1. but it will be nice to have them here too since i have my cse' for general that is good until may. wow it will good to talk and play instead of just listening

Beetle said:
Some who held both the Advanced and Extra claimed the Advanced test was harder than the Extra. I suspect, however, that they took the Advanced test while still relatively new to radio. By the time they were truly ready for Extra (both in terms of code speed and technical know-how) the Extra test just seemed easier.

Back in '94 I went from no-license to 20 WPM Extra in about 4 months.

I thought the Advanced written was much harder than the Extra--in fact, the Advanced written was the toughest of all, IMHO, along with the 20 WPM CW test.

The difference was that the Advanced written was all theory, and the Extra was all rules and regulations.

Cyclops - I took the Extra test in '75, and it was about half and half: theory (circuits and math), and rules and regulations at that time.

I should add: at that time, in order to take the Extra exam, you had to have been licensed as a Technician or higher (Conditional/General/Advanced) for at least two years. Theory here being that the applicant would have had time to get some real-world experience before taking the ultimate step. As I said earlier, that could be why the Advanced test was seen as being harder than Extra: two years of experience solving the same types of problems in real life as would be encountered on the test.

Plus, you got two years to get your code speed from 5 WPM (for the Technician licensee) or 13 WPM for the others up to 20 WPM.

Cyclops & Beetle: my hat's off to you guys. While it seemed like an accomplishment at the time, I've discovered that you can't really make any prcatical use of 5 WPM, or even 10 WPM for that matter. The slow-code freqs help a little, but the moving hand writes, and having written, moves on and it's the same with trying to copy code that coming just a little too fast; it's simply not enjoyable. 20 WPM, or at least 13, I judge to me the minimum proficiency I'd need to have a pleasant experience in CW -- maybe one day, somehow, I'll get there.

back then it was more about control...

today, the world wide communication lines are open

Something that I have found a little amusing over time:

In '95, when we were testing for our 20 WPM, we held in awe the old geezers that could copy 40 WPM in their head.

When it went to 5 WPM, I was on the air chatting with a newbie about the code and said "Yeah, I really don't use the code all that much except for Field Day...I can only run about 15 WPM right now...if I run a lot I can top out at about 22."

He was amazed that without even really trying someone could just "copy" at 15...then about went speechless when I told him I only used bugs or straight keys and no keyers or computers.

I just wonder now that code testing is gone, will the new guys look at the 5 WPM speedburners just like we did the 40 WPM gurus??

Or as I like to say: "It doesn't take much to impress people anymore..."

Truth be told, code for me has never been a love. It's always been difficult for me..it never was an automatic thing. I've always had to really think and really concentrate to make any progress. But for me, it's something that I feel compelled to do, because for me, the idea of the old geezer sitting in front of the radio, with the warm glow of the tubes on a cold winter's night, tapping out the code to far flung places....that's ham radio to me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.