• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ERF 7530s info

Dec 18, 2009
So Cal
2 driving 8 ERF 7530s MOFSETs I ran this in my car and got only 400W PEP and i need to know what its capable of doing. I ran 12W swinging over 60w and the owner who picked this up at an estate sale says never run over 40 pep into it. 400w seems way too low for me and i cant find anything online about it. Any info would help thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0496.JPG
    IMG_0496.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    377.4 KB · Views: 196

Well, you might be driving it more than it requires since two ERF are driving eight. The ERF7530 are rated at/about 75w out/each. So either a couple of ERF's are burned out, or you aren't supplying the amp with enough current/amperage to let them fully operate. I would expected around 600w since 8 X ~75w device = ~600 . . .

Last edited:
Ok thanks for your time. I'll just try this. What in your opinion is the proper driver for this box. You know "this amp should run on 13.8v with a 100 amp power supply driving it with a 3w deadkey" And what is the expected output for a 2x8 running ERF 7530's. and if you would ....what would be considered too much drive for this box period. I dont know enough about these FET's yet and i have no time to learn them.

Too much dead key, try 1-2 watts of dead key and see what happens, sounds like you are overdriving it as well. With a 1.5 watt dead key can you tell me what the amp keys up as that's what is important. That and I would think that with a driver section that 60 watts pep is too much, something like 15-20 watts pep from a 1-2 watt dead key might make the amp perform better. Do you have any other radios to use that don't put out so much power?? I may be wrong but normally if there is a driver section the 2 drivers shouldn't need much to get them going. Maybe someone can chime in as well.

Well, the RFX-75 uses a single ERF-2030 to drive the ERF-7530, so a 2030 drives it with about 20w. SO two 7530 being driven with 40-45w should be tops as a guess.

The best way to gauge real output is with an accurate meter into a dummy load.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind about the RFX-75 is that it replaces the radios driver and final. That means the ERF-2030 is only driven by the radios pre-driver at a level usually less than 300 milliwatts. That means the output of the ERF-2030 used in the RFX-75 is significantly less than the 20 watts it might make as the final in a radio driven by over 1200 milliwatts from the driver stage in most cases. The fact that driving the amp harder will not produce more than the 400 watts suggests those transistors are already driven into saturation and well beyond the point of gain compression.

I'm not a fan of using any RF device in this type of package for applications above 50 watts to 30 Mhz. Motorola, one of the most trusted names in RF transistors NEVER manufactured a part over 40 watts in these cheaper 3 pin packages. The 40 watt versions were also made with the metal tab as the emitter or grounded pin to reduce inductance. This is very important when dealing with higher levels of RF current (required at 12 volts) and the upper limits of the HF spectrum. Power, efficiency and stability all suffer when this is ignored because the transistor struggles to maintain a path to RF ground as the power goes up.

The unfortunate truth is they perform worse than the lowest rated Motorola MRF455 RF transistors made 30 years ago in these amplifiers. That's why you need at least twice as many to come close to the output of the old bipolar transistors. Any more current through a single stage and the circuit falls apart or pops the transistors. Incidentally, if one of your transistors were burnt out, the 100 ohm resistors across the output combiners would be smoking when you keyed. Seeing 400 watts output may just mean you have an accurate watt meter.

Reactions: 2 people
I really hate to see that amplifiers have come to this, a whole nasty looking row of friggen 7530 mosfets in an amplifier. Dang. Give me 2290's, 2879's, 1446's, 455's, and 454's like it should be.

They used to sell an amp that had four ERF-7530's that was doing about 300w. So an amp with eight devices should do twice that. Just saying.

Possible that one of the two ERF's drivers are blown. Really hard to troubleshoot something like this over the internet.

It's the mindset typically found in this area of the hobby. I just want watts...as many as possible for as little as possible. The driving factor has remained the same, just the options have changed. If you want to see the other end of modern solid state amps just look at any of the established commercial Two-Way or amateur manufactures are doing. Notice what Motorola or Yaesu use in their 100 watt mobile rigs. They are MOSFET transistors but look nothing like a CB final. They also cost about 10 times as much per device. Better parts are available today but this market is price driven and the circuits used to run today's parts are also different. That means some techs are going to have to update their knowledge to use them too.

If one of the drivers were blown in this circuit the output would be zero. That's because the first stage is push-pull and cannot function if one side is open. First sign of blown transistors is the 100 ohm resistors inside the output combiners burns up. That's because in normal operation the input to all combiners is equal on both sides so that no power is dissipated across the resistor. When one transistor fails it creates an imbalance much larger than the resistors power rating and you let the smoke out of the part.

Reactions: 1 person
I think we are going to find cost will also drive a big change in the way 12 volt amps are designed in the near future. Many quality 12 volts MOSFET devices in the 100 watt class can cost close to $100 each. Their silicon junctions need to be much larger to support the needed current at the lower voltage to make power. On the flip side of this is there are new MOSFET devices that can make 1200 watts and only cost $300. Twelve times the output for only three times the cost. The catch is they only work on 50 volts.

It is now cost effective to treat the power source for these RF amplifiers the same way we do with high power car audio amps. The highly efficient DC to DC switch mode power supply. They are already in use well past a few kilowatts and the supplies are small, lightweight with extremely good dynamic voltage regulation that would be an asset on SSB. That's just my prediction as the sources of good 12 volt devices dwindles and these MOSFETs keep getting more powerful and less costly when run at higher voltages.

You guys are great. I spent the better part of my spare time for 2 days searching for info on these 7530s future and I didnt see anything that impressed me enough to do this trade. I thank you all for your time and help i hate to say this but i think you'll see more and more of these type amps in the not so distant future. In small boxes im sure. I used to call my amp guy out here in so cal for anything amps. But the last time i saw him he and his gf were heading east with a mouthful of excuses and mumbling tracking numbers. This is the fist time since he ruined my ebay name that i actually needed him...sorry just venting....I passed on this trade and you guys helped., Thanks again 73's d extra

PS i was trading an out of the box 101E with 2 of the matching speakers n spare set of green stripe tubes with driver. enjoy your turkey day and ROLL TIDE!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.