• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

EVEN RETARDS CAN GET A LICENSE NOW

I guess that's why Ham radio is slowly becoming less popular.

When you think about it who want's to talk to a know it all Retart.

Tip: try decaffenated Coffie with a stiff shot of Bayle's or something stronger, or maybe smokin some green stuff.
Beer can help too. You gotta mellow out dude.
:p :beer :idea: [/quote]

Not to change the subject at all, but I got curious. How many of you can drive a three-on-the-tree (column shift)? :D Be honest, now--this is just to lighten the mood a bit. How many are even old enough to REMEMBER such a thing? I just asked that because I saw a young fellow hop in an old Chevy truck the other day at a car lot and ask, "What th' heck is THIS" (referring to the column shifter). :D I moved it for him. :p

CWM

I know what you are asking and can even use one. Not that I'm 'old', just that I learned while a baby...
- 'Doc

As for remembering...
Double-clutching,
Feathering a clutch,
A throttle,
Floor starters,
Light dimmer on the floor,
How about 6 volt, positive ground?

My first pickup was a 72 Chevy with a 3 on the tree then I bought a 72 Dodge pickup with one. Wish I still had them. I remember when I was a kid my uncle had an old Pontiac with one and he let me shift it. He told me it would just "fall right in". I ground that tranny and that was my last lesson ! LOL ! :D

Sonwatcher said:
My first pickup was a 72 Chevy with a 3 on the tree then I bought a 72 Dodge pickup with one. Wish I still had them. I remember when I was a kid my uncle had an old Pontiac with one and he let me shift it. He told me it would just "fall right in". I ground that tranny and that was my last lesson ! LOL ! :D

One thing about the old three-on-a-tree was they would sometimes "hang up" in second gear. Where I once worked, we had a '64 Dodge pickup in which standard equipment was a screwdriver kept on the front seat. That was so when it hung up, you could pop the hood and snap the linkages apart. :D
Of course, this meant that you coasted to a stop to find a place to pull off............. :oops:

I also once had a Model A Ford (I miss that old car: lots of fun and hope to find another one soon), so I DO know about 6V and positive polarity!

Doc,

I've double-clutched a many an old truck---AND car! Could you double-clutch a '58 Ford into 1st gear (at low speed) with-OUT grinding the gears and rocket away to surprise your buddies with more powerful cars? I did it as a teen, and it took my friends with '65 SS Malibus a YEAR to figure out how I was movin' out so quick with that old bomb! :p

CWM

Yep---'58 Ford. What Daddy had when I was 16. 332 Thunderbird Police Interceptor (or so the breather said!) with 4-barrel. Pop was funny when he first got the car--a Fairlane 4-door. He didn't really LOOK at the engine until he brought it home. I was 10 and excited at the new Ford. I got him to pop the hood and his eyes got really wide!

"What th'.........", he cried.

I said, "WOOHOO!"

But when I got my license a few years later I got really good at
double-clutching all the way down to Low gear. I couldn't outrun my buddies with the new SS 327 Chevys, but I could turn a corner, drop into low at about 20-30 and really rocket away---for a short distance! I got a rep for having a "fast" Ford, but it wasn't all THAT fast; it just seemed like it. Took 'em about a year of cruising the boulevard to catch onto my secret! :oops: Then them "shivo-lays" cleaned my clock but good! :( I didn't have a CHANCE!!

The other trick I learned was an old moonshiner's trick--the "road" turn. We'd chase each other around town playing cat and mouse. The object was to "shake" the other car, then we'd meet at the local drive-in to say "Nana-nana boo-boo"--all in good fun. Some of the little streets and roads were dirt--one was called "Thunder Road" where we watched the submarine races. ;) We'd even shine flashlights into the cars to get them to chase us after....uh, er, 'interrupting' their
(ahem) fun. And they WOULD, too! If one car got too close and I couldn't shake, 'em (them dratted Chevys usually), I'd go onto one of the dirt roads so it would make clouds of dust and they couldn't see. Then I'd stab the emergency brake, keeping my left hand on the handle.
Then I'd turn quickly to the left, sliding the rear around with the wheels locked, then releasing the hand brake while shifting into 2nd gear. OH! The look of shock when I passed my pursuer going BACK the other way!!!!!! What FUN we had when we didn't know how foolish we were! And--ohhhhhhh-if Pop had found out all the stuff I was doing with his car, my my! :cry:

But the movie "American Graffiti" was actually pretty accurate, too! We lived it on "Sar'dy" night cruising & listening to "Surfer Girl" and "Little old Lady from Pasadena" on our AM radios! It took 35 years and I never thought I would, but I finally MET the Beach Boys and got an autographed beachball!

Today, I'm admittedly chicken about playing with a car; I wouldn't DARE do some of the stuff I did in high school!!! :D

(sorry I got this off-topic--I'll try to behave!!!)

CWM[/i]

Had a custumized 65 chevy van in 1977 that was three on the tree. loved it, easy to shift and never hung up in any gear.It had a 230 straight 6 in id I think.

Miss it and if I could find another I would restore it to like my old one.

Roger

I have a 63 Chevy I restored about 10 years ago. Anyway, I was driving home and picked up two teenagers that had run out of gas. I was taking them home and they kept stairing at the shifter on the colum and ask me what that was ? I must say I thought that was funny !

I had a 77 GMC 1/2 ton that use to jam up between 1st & 2nd so I made it a habit not shift goin through intersetions.
I'm 45 but anyway I still got my 68 Old's Delta88 2 door
with the 455 with about 45,000 miles on it.
She still puts it down through all 3 gears (400 turbo) and with the speedo cable hooked up to the frount wheel it will get up to about 40mph before I lose the tire.
I dono something about that engin revin and the rubber burnin......What a stress relever.
And fun tooo.

I had a '56 Borgward (I'll wait until you finish chuckling... :shock: )...

...which had FOUR on the tree. For reverse, you put it in neutral, pulled the lever out, away from the steering column, and then up to the "usual" place for reverse. If you didn't, you'd be in first gear. The "usual" location for 3rd gear was actually a 4th gear/overdrive.

Hey, this was my very first car. I had it for maybe 3 months before I replaced it with a '58 Studebaker Lark 8. Black, with red leather interior...but still a Studebaker. It did have after-market A/C, which made the Las Vegas summer a lot more bearable.

Message from Riley-

FCC Special Counsel in the Spectrum Enforcement Division Riley
Hollingsworth's main message at the Dayton Hamvention®...

"All of you can learn from each
other," he said, "and you need to work together more and show a little more
respect for your diverse interests and for the Amateur Service as a whole.
It isn't about you. It isn't about enforcement. It's about Amateur Radio."

As radio amateurs take to the airwaves, he continued, they need to decide
what's most important -- the best interests of ham radio or their ego, pride
or perceived "rights.""I realize I may be preaching to the choir here, but on the air you need to
be more cooperative and less argumentative -- and I need you to take this
message with you when you go home," he continued....We can enforce our rules, but we can't enforce kindness and courtesy or
common sense," Hollingsworth concluded....

http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=3&t=157584

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.