• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ever worked Iraq? Here's your chance!

KF7ATX

Submariner
Dec 19, 2009
At home.. in Washington state
I am currently stationed in Baghdad, Iraq with the GOI issued callsign of YI9ATX and am looking for qso's! So if you're missing Iraq in your logbook hopefully we can accomodate each other!

My plan is this coming Tuesday ( Feb 16th ) from 1030Z i'll be operating. As for frequencies and bands I haven't decided yet so if you have a favorite let me know and we'll give it a try! Most likely i'll do 20m until probably approximately 1900 local or 1600Z at which time i'll switch to 80m or 40m. But like all good plans, it can and will change! So keep an eye and i'll post more info here.

Thanks,

Chris
KF7ATX / YI9ATX

are you in the military or a contractor? while i was stationed in iraq with kbr, if they had caught any employee with a two way radio that wasn't authorized by kbr, it would have been a ticket home. sometimes i monitor the vhf repeater in iraq via echolink, but i never hear anyone talking.

I am active duty Navy augmenting for the Army as a comms rep. I was given permission to operate HF on base by the J6 and my command. The two way communication used to be very limited due to the RCIED threat but it's diminished so they are a tad more lenient now but I don't know what KBR's policy is. I know a lot of their contractors walk around the FOB with motorola's a lot of the time. *shrug*

Chris
KF7ATX / YI9ATX

Cool, I will be listening for sure. I dont have my general but I listen to 20 alot and conditions have been great to Russia, France, Japan and all over so I hope your chances are good.

Good luck,
AP

Sounds cool. What's your station setup over there as far as rigs, antenna, amplifier, etc.?

are you running civilian equipment or a gov issued radio? And if its gov, who are you with bc im in ecuador right now trying to do basestation and voice shots to wherever i can.

I know a lot of their contractors walk around the FOB with motorola's a lot of the time. *shrug*

Chris
KF7ATX / YI9ATX
that's awesome you got permission to work the dx. wish i could have while i was in iraq. i think kbr uses the motorola 1250's. nice rigs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.