• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Excessive Noise from my GalaxyDX 949

LightFoot

Dec 28, 2008
Hi,
I was hoping you can help me please. Im the proud owner of the Galaxy DX949 radio. Ive noticed that the radio on SSB mode is extremely noisy. On AM it could be 2 pounds of air noise and on either ssb mode its about 9 to 10 pounds on the S unit meter. Please can you tell me if there is a pod to adjust to bring the level of noise down with out messing with the receive sensitivity. Am works Great.Thank you and hoping to hear from you....................John..........:headbang

vr-1 am
vr-2 ssb
adjust it till ya read no signal from noise.
by doing this though your meter will be slow to
respond to signal or just stingy.however the overall
recieve will be the same.people that once gave ya
s7 or so will be lower like s4 or so depending on how ya set it

Hey thanks Hot Rod. Im concerned about the SSb Portion. Im going to do this with one of my locals. Keep him hitting me strong while dropping the Air noise down enough to balance out with AM air noise. I really appreciate this. Is there another adjustment for the SSb meter or this is it?. Just wondering if further adjustment is required.....................Thanks Again..............:)

just wanted to comment that when radio goes up to around 27.650 its perfect. Nice and quiet. When it starts going to regular channels and below 26.9650 its noisy. Go figure.

there are other adjustments for recieve however ya really need a signal generator
to accurately set these.ones i gave ya just adjust the senseitivity of the meter
ya try it yet/ if yes how it turn out

Before you get your golden scrwdriver out what application is this radio being used as, mobile or base and if mobile what vehicle? Certain cars are terrible will fuel pump and electric fan noise.

Next up, do you have the anl/nb filter turned on? You can also add an in-line filter to your power cord.

Last up, has the radio been tuned or is it stock? Radio's are just "ballparked" in on the assemble line. A complete alignment of the receive and making sure the radio is on frequency might also solve the problem. I would have a good tech do this work, and further suggest you not try to adjust the receive yourself.

I agree with the last two posters--take it to a qualified tech with the proper test equipment to do a complete alignment. Messing around with the RX yourself is not a good idea. You'll probably do more harm than good.

Man I sincerely appreciate the attention to this Dilemma. I had the Radio properly tuned by a technician. Im currently using it for a base station using a maco ground plane with LMR 400 coax. Flat match and everything properly grounded. This symptom is only on this radio on the SSB mode and not on any of my other radios. I was also told that by adjusting the core of L8 approx. 1/4 to 1/2 turn clockwise just until you hear the noise floor drop slightly. You may need to crank the volume control up for this last step. After done you will have to readjust VR1 your RX meter.Also re solder and make sure the Crystal is flush to the circuit board by the PLL chip. Is this Correct. Thanks A bunch guys................................John.

I agree with the last two posters--take it to a qualified tech with the proper test equipment to do a complete alignment. Messing around with the RX yourself is not a good idea. You'll probably do more harm than good.
the vr adjustments i gave him is only for the meter itself. in no way will it hurt or change his recieve just change the sensesivity of his meter only.if ya re-read my post i told him
theres other adjustments but ya need a signal generator to do it

Man I sincerely appreciate the attention to this Dilemma. I had the Radio properly tuned by a technician. Im currently using it for a base station using a maco ground plane with LMR 400 coax. Flat match and everything properly grounded. This symptom is only on this radio on the SSB mode and not on any of my other radios. I was also told that by adjusting the core of L8 approx. 1/4 to 1/2 turn clockwise just until you hear the noise floor drop slightly. You may need to crank the volume control up for this last step. After done you will have to readjust VR1 your RX meter.Also re solder and make sure the Crystal is flush to the circuit board by the PLL chip. Is this Correct. Thanks A bunch guys................................John.

Here's what I don't understand-- If you had the radio properly aligned, then there should be no need to do any of the above. Radios don't just "un-tune" themselves spontaneously.

So either your tech was not very thorough, or didn't really know what he was doing, or your noise problem is being caused by something other than the radio.

the vr adjustments i gave him is only for the meter itself. in no way will it hurt or change his recieve just change the sensesivity of his meter only.if ya re-read my post i told him
theres other adjustments but ya need a signal generator to do it

How is adjusting the meter going to solve the noise issue? That seems silly to me.

I understand about if my Tech did the full alignment why have to adjust anything else? Hmmmmmmm. Is there any validity in respect to adjusting the pod L8 clockwise till it drops down to the desired level? Thanks Man..............................................John..............

There are several things that can contribute to 'noise' when using SSB. One of those things is AGC. It's usually 'faster' in 'AM' than 'SSB', makes the receiver respond quicker. No idea if your radio has a user adjustable setting for AGC, I doubt it. that's only -one- of the things that can make SSB noisier.
The quick-n-dirty answer to your question is that if you don't have the equipment to do this sort of 'adjusting' (not just AGC, but any thing of this sort), you are going to cause more problems than you'll ever solve. And that says nothing about having the knowledge to do that adjusting properly, which is an order of magnitude difference!
There are a number of things that can be a source of noise, not just the radio. And since noise comes in a very large range of 'flavors', and since I can't 'taste' the noise you object to, I can't offer any good advice except to leave them 'golden screwdrivers' alone! And naturally, since it's your radio, suit yourself.
- 'Doc

Thanks there W5LZ I sure don't want to make it worse thats for sure. I'm going to talk with my tech on this. Thanks for everyone that commented on this. Sincerely appreciate it. Just want to make it Right...........Best wishes to you all from John in Northern Cali............................:mellow:

I'd take it to the "tech" and ask him to connect everything up and see if the noise is there when it's on his bench (which I assume is some distance from your house). If it's quiet there and noisy when you take it home, things sort of point to your home or environment as the culprit.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.