• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Expo 100 kit in a 142?

RugRat235

May 1, 2005
is the install of one of these kits something someone with limited knowledge of radios could handle? i have done a few other mods but nothing of this extend. just don't want to screw up my radio.

looks like I saw thisa post elsewhere ? It's all good (-: Does the 142 have the 8719 chip in it ? if so ? you could very easily work right off the chip ,I dont think you really would have to worry as much about having a freq counter just working of the chip if you have the right one unlike the Expo kits .....8719 chip[/img]

No, YOU unlock the clarifier, as a part of the installation procedure.

Bear in mind that if you install the tiny RF choke in line with one leg of the varactor diode the way they show it, you will probably see some schizoid behavior from the clarifier.

Putting that choke in that spot works for similar radios, like a 148, or a Madison, or 2000GTL or Grant XL/LT, but they have a different clarifier circuit in the first place. Placing the choke in line with the tiny varactor diode does NOT work the way they say in a 142.

If you can live without trying to make the clarifier slide a whole channel, leave the choke coil out.

If you feel you MUST stretch the clarifier coverage, placing the choke in line with one of the two wires from the kit works a lot better. Still makes it harder to get the radio back onto the center of the channel.

Another detail they forget to mention is to split the two 'married' wires leading from the kit to the circuit board. Separating them by about an inch tends to make it easier to get the radio back onto the center of the channel.

Gave some thought to working up a 'revised' procedure for the EXPO "B" kit, and then they got discontinued. Hard to work up any enthusiasm for it now.

About that "limited knowledge" thing. If everything falls into place easily, and tunes up the first time, you're fine. And if any part of it ends up being "close", but not close enough, that's when the experience and tools make a difference. One good thing about the EXPO kit is that you can put the old crystal back where it was if things don't work out.

see now i noticed that this uniden pc122 is crazy to work the clarifier on. nBut they never said anything about removing a crystal iether. I have to install mine yet also.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.