• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Export/10 meter radio with good receive and static rejection?

we still have stock..just not in shop at moment ..
i have stock in Indonesia and china waiting to be delivered ...
expected in about two weeks if not sooner
Is a Mark 4 version in the works or are you not supposed to say?

I would like to see one with a built in CTCSS/DCS and be selectable for encode, decode, and both simutaneously.

Been busy, will try and post a video tomorrow of the MK3 in action on AM with the Xtreme 2018 mic. I wouldn't say static level is necessarily better per say, but the stronger receive makes the signal to noise much better. It doesn't seem like there is a built in ANL. The receive picks up more crackle and pops that ANL will normally filter out. The Noise Blanker isn't necessarily any better either as I hear electrical noise come through very faintly that the Lincoln completely removes. Maybe it just behaves differently. The most static I have gotten on the receive is S5, but some static that the Lincoln shows S3 will be S3 on the MK3. Again I think it comes down to the radio having a better receive and signal to noise ratio, allowing those signals that would normally be drowned out by the static to come through. Turning the RF gain back a bit in high static areas makes for a better experience. In quiet areas I pick up stuff I couldn't make out on the Lincoln.

Bottom line I don't regret my purchase. As I said it lacks a few features I kinda miss mainly talkback, SWR, voltage display, Roger Beep, PA, brightness/contrast and CW (not really).

no anl only nb

ctss can be put in but it would be fixed as there is no button you could use to turn it on/off

like the president hr2600 you would have to lift the lid to change the code.not very practical ..we are at the limit of what we can do with the chassis.
ctss is not used down this side of the world on 10m normally, so when people ask i just steer them to a aftermarket unit they can put in themselves but as above reasons they too have to deal with lifting lid to change codes.

the only mk4 is in some ones head however its not in mine.

Been busy, will try and post a video tomorrow of the MK3 in action on AM with the Xtreme 2018 mic. I wouldn't say static level is necessarily better per say, but the stronger receive makes the signal to noise much better. It doesn't seem like there is a built in ANL. The receive picks up more crackle and pops that ANL will normally filter out. The Noise Blanker isn't necessarily any better either as I hear electrical noise come through very faintly that the Lincoln completely removes. Maybe it just behaves differently. The most static I have gotten on the receive is S5, but some static that the Lincoln shows S3 will be S3 on the MK3. Again I think it comes down to the radio having a better receive and signal to noise ratio, allowing those signals that would normally be drowned out by the static to come through. Turning the RF gain back a bit in high static areas makes for a better experience. In quiet areas I pick up stuff I couldn't make out on the Lincoln.

Bottom line I don't regret my purchase. As I said it lacks a few features I kinda miss mainly talkback, SWR, voltage display, Roger Beep, PA, brightness/contrast and CW (not really).
The optima's AM receive is really loud and sensitive, and the ssb being insanely quiet make it seem even worse. I have owned quite a few of the better cb's and exports, and the optima is the only one I can hear my brake lights on.

The optima's AM receive is really loud and sensitive, and the ssb being insanely quiet make it seem even worse. I have owned quite a few of the better cb's and exports, and the optima is the only one I can hear my brake lights on.
Yes I noticed this too and ANL would have eliminated most of it on AM. I just don't think they care much about AM over there as they use mostly FM and SSB. I don't know why ANL is even a switchable option on these types of radios. I have never seen a need to turn it off. The NB however can increase bleedover on some radios, especially with ultra high speed switching diodes on the circuity, so there are times you may want to turn it off. When we used to mod the cobra 148's, we would often use the ANL/NB switch for the uppers and lowers. Not trying to open up a big debate, I'm sure people have their reasons, Yeti, who knows more about this stuff than me gave us a reason why some features are missing on the radio, so I won't question that.

Here is a video of the audio on AM of the Optima MK3 with a 2018 mic. Any constructive feedback is welcomed.

I'd back the mic gain down on the mic to just where it modulates the carrier and use the radio mic gain to fine tune. I would need to check mine but I think mine is around 10 o'clock.

That being said, if anyone says the Optima cannot sound "hot" on AM that pretty much answers that question.

I'd back the mic gain down on the mic to just where it modulates the carrier and use the radio mic gain to fine tune. I would need to check mine but I think mine is around 10 o'clock.

That being said, if anyone says the Optima cannot sound "hot" on AM that pretty much answers that question.
Yep, I was surprised how loud it was after I turned the audio up inside. It was actually louder than this before I turned the mic gain pot down and it still didn't sound bad, just not the sound I was going for.

Turn on the NR too.

What is the original mic you received with the radio - the Phantom or other?

It came with the Icom mic and sounded too muffled on AM. Thanks for the feedback, the NR seems to flatten the sound too much on AM, on SSB I think it is ideal, just my preference.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.