1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

External Speaker FT-857

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by W1MSG, Aug 2, 2010.

1. W1MSG

W1MSG Now W1MSG

Is there an undocumented feature, or something I overlooked, to having both the internal speaker and the external jack live ? I would like to hook the external up to a recorder and still hear the internal speaker.

Thanks

2. Qwazyone

Qwazyone Active Member

I don't think there is, the internal speaker is probably wired in series with the external jacks, so that when an external is used the internal speaker doesn't work. One possibility may be the data jack on the back, its strictly a line out(volume control has no affect) but connecting a recorder up to the 1200bps(audio out) and ground may give you something to record. My PS2 keyboard connector didn't work, only had 4 wires for the 6 pins and the 1200 out was one of the wires missing. A simple splitter should give you the ability to record and listen on a headset.

Have you tried listening to the SSB sats with the 857 and the arrow yet?

3. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator Staff Member

Doing it with the ACC jack on the back is the way to do it. Just get or build a PC interface for the radio and you'll be all set up to do what you're talking about.

4. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur Staff Member

Agreed. I have the 857 and if you want to listen to an external speaker it cuts off the internal one. You need to use the data jack on the back to pull off audio. All you need is a simple cord wired to an 8 pin DIN jack on one end and whatever he recorder takes on the other. As stated above, that level is fixed but should be suitable for most any recorders using a line input.

5. 0x33f

0x33f Member

Straight from the manual
    Connection of a tape recorder or other such receiver accessory is easily accomplished by
    using the DATA jack’s Data Out (1200 bps) terminal (Pin 5) and Ground (Pin 2). The
    audio output is fixed at 100 mV, with an impedance of 600 Ω.

6. TonyV225

TonyV225 Supporting Member

I never even seen that in my manual!!! LMAO!! Thats actually pretty cool.