• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

External Speaker FT-857

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
Is there an undocumented feature, or something I overlooked, to having both the internal speaker and the external jack live ? I would like to hook the external up to a recorder and still hear the internal speaker.

Thanks

I don't think there is, the internal speaker is probably wired in series with the external jacks, so that when an external is used the internal speaker doesn't work. One possibility may be the data jack on the back, its strictly a line out(volume control has no affect) but connecting a recorder up to the 1200bps(audio out) and ground may give you something to record. My PS2 keyboard connector didn't work, only had 4 wires for the 6 pins and the 1200 out was one of the wires missing. A simple splitter should give you the ability to record and listen on a headset.

Have you tried listening to the SSB sats with the 857 and the arrow yet?

Doing it with the ACC jack on the back is the way to do it. Just get or build a PC interface for the radio and you'll be all set up to do what you're talking about.

Agreed. I have the 857 and if you want to listen to an external speaker it cuts off the internal one. You need to use the data jack on the back to pull off audio. All you need is a simple cord wired to an 8 pin DIN jack on one end and whatever he recorder takes on the other. As stated above, that level is fixed but should be suitable for most any recorders using a line input.

Straight from the manual
Connection of a tape recorder or other such receiver accessory is easily accomplished by
using the DATA jack’s Data Out (1200 bps) terminal (Pin 5) and Ground (Pin 2). The
audio output is fixed at 100 mV, with an impedance of 600 Ω.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.