• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Extra bands/channels?

sportygreg

Nov 30, 2006
Dunedin,Fl
I discovered while installing new buttons that my Cherokee 1000 has the jumper mod to access bands A-J.Thanks to one of the websites I have a chart that shows what the freqs are on those bands but what would I use them for?Are they export or what's called freebands?Is there any advantage in using them besides less traffic than the more common frequencies?

The caution would be that those "channels" are illegal. The danger is also that you will find yourself up inside the Amateur Radio spectrum which requires a license. Not to scold, ya know, this just to inform. You can, of course, make any decision you need to! However, if you stray into the 28 MHZ area, the licensed folks WILL seek you out and report you to the Feds! The frequencies you might think are "quiet" are actually reserved for Morse Code, teletype, and other digital modes; no voice is allowed even for the hams between 28.000 and 28.300! The other reason is that, lately, FCC has been issuing warnings and some $10,000 fines to CBers that don't follow Part 95.

Again, this is not to scold, just info so you will know if you want to tread there! :)

If you want more than the regular CB offers, why not explore what Amateur Radio has to offer? With the recent changes in licensing, it has become even easier than ever before!

CWM

I don't really intend to use the extra channels but it seems a lot of people mod their radios to get extra channels.I was wondering what the purpose was for doing that-are they scofflaws or just doing it because they can?

well...

some of these extra channels (although illegal)
are used for international contacts

such as 27,555

basiclly the 40 channels of CB / 11 meters is
26,965 to 27,405

although it is illegal to use CB above or below those frequencys
just like 11 meters is limited to using 4 watts am and 12 pep SSB

so is it illegal to go above or below "regular" 11 meter channels

However
if one is into SSB and into skip
then you will (especially when skip is good)
find people going as high as 27,695 (i would not go higher to be sure you do not slash over onto the 10 meter frequencys.. where if you did it may turn out some ham op will have you reported..

you may want to go lower then 26,965 if you like AM skip
i have found 26,815 and 26,915 are good for that

Whether you chose to do so or not
just be carefull and be reasonable in how you use it
you expose yourself to higher risk

for sure you do not want FCC to come a knocking with those nice fines they like to give and to take your gear

myself
i can care less if one choses to use what is refered to as the freeband
just know what you are getting yourself into

besides that
Enjoy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.