• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

F150 (2005) Radio Install

Mar 2, 2006
I need some advice; as everyone knows it’s getting harder and harder to put a Radio in today’s Cars and Trucks. I have a friend who has gotten interested in CB Radio, and asked me for some help getting started. Of course, I am more that willing to lend a head.

I have given him an old Mirage 2950EX which I had checked out just to make sure was working fine. As far as the Antenna we will be going with a Firestik II 4’ (for now) and a Pick-up Stake-Hole Mount.

Now, the problem is where and how to mount the Radio. The dash is all plastic and we really don’t want to drill any holes there. There is a small cubby hole under the cup holder, but once we popped that out we found there is only about 2 ½” to 3” behind it, so can’t really use that. The only thing I can think of right now is to use a Hump Mount, but which one and what would be the best way to secure it to the Truck. Or is there a better way one I haven’t considered, maybe making a custom mounting bracket.

I would really like it to look as clean as possible; I don’t want to do some half ass job he would be embarrassed to have people see. Any and all help would be appreciated, if you have any Pcs that you could send of your install that would be great (I’m a bit of a visual person.)

Thanks ahead of time for any and all your help!

Texas Grizzly Bear

i have a '01 f150.. had the same problem... i went with a hump mount,, it works gr8. i used one with the teeth on the bottom, u get some that are smooth, "junk"... an also one with the cup holders.. i mounted the radio an all that an took the cup holder part an shoved under the seat. nice tight fit, that thing don't move any.. taking the truck 4 wheeling at the landfill was my test an she held up like a champ.. i put the pic on for ya..

I would probably go with the hump mount as well. Or get one of those mounts that attach to the floor and are adjustable. Of course I ran into a whole different set of issues with my install because I have the flow-thru console in my F-150. This resulted in an install in the overhead rail system as seen in my sig. below.

Good luck on the install.

73's

Thanks Guys I guess the Hump Mount is going to be the way to go. Once I have everything installed I'll post some pics. I'll also try to post some pics of my set up in my Jeep.

Thanks again,
Texas Grizzly Bear

Hey go to the quack shack they have a mount called the bubba mount it will work perfect for ya ....I found it after I made my mount
radio.jpg

The mount I made is exactly like the bubba mount however I have a few braces to stabilize it better
bracket2.jpg

Look up ram mounts.

They have a laptop mount that bolts to the passenger seat bolts with a post the comes up. Mount a different platform on the post (they make a universal one for ham equipment) and you are good to go. Maybe $150 though.

Other option is this: http://www.jottodesk.com/Comersus/s...oriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=188&status=-1

Company makes radio mounts for police and fire.

Also not cheap, but a pro job.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.