• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

family radio license??

505NJ

i messed with the small hand held family radios a couple of years ago, but a friend told me they are really making some nice ones now but you need a license. is this true? and are the radios getting any better. I like the little ones me and the wife use now, NEXTEL SUCKS......thanks for any info.

FRS requires no license. Some of the models are including GMRS channels and higher power. GMRS requires a license. If the radio is only 14 channels, then it is an FRS.

Rich

most of the radios still suck

there are a couple of manafactures who typiclly make ham radios
that make decent radios for FRS/GMRS

is posible to mod many different ham and business band radio HT's for FRS/GMRS

if you are looking to spend under $100 per radio
then not likly you will get a decent FRS/GMRS radio

all that aside....even if you got one of the better 4 or 5 watt
good HT's for GMRS,how far you looking to transmitt
for these frequency's do not lend themselves to long range simplex

perhaps there is a GMRS repeater close by you would access?

if you are looking for longer range you would be better off with MURS frequences,for VHF does far better then UHF in regards to simplex..

in which case there are a couple of manafactures who make really good MURS radios,also a many business band and ham radio HT's can be moded for MURS

I might be a bit off on this as it's been a couple of years, but IIRC, both FRS and MURS require certified radios. FRS is limited to like 500mW effective radiated power (ERP) and MURS is limited to 2W (not sure if that is ERP or conducted? I think it was conducted).

GMRS is limited to 15W ERP for base station and 50W ERP for mobiles, and requires a license.

Like said, it is easier to determine the right tool once the specific task is defined. Or we can talk about specific tools and how they perform.

I think the better GMRS/FRS hybrid radios have come a long way from the FRS radios of past, but like mentioned, they are still 4 or 5W models with limited range. Still a 5 mile radio if you are lucky, really lucky. But close range communications or nice with the advanced tone encode/decodeing, etc...and it is FM quality voice. Very good for their intended purpose.

hi..

C2 bit of a mistake

both mobile and base allowed up to 50 watts erp
although MURS does require citified radio
and is only "allowed" 2 watts
but you are allowed exturnal antenna of any type and the 2 watts is not erp rated..(so if say 2 people were using beams and using legal 2 watts...no reason not to get 20 to 25 miles distance or more perhaps)

now on a different matter....murs is only 5 channels
but being in VHF (verses FRS/GMRS being UHF)then murs will in most cases go further then FRS/GMRS (except if using high power on GMRS especilly via repeater)

also MURS is used far less then FRS/GMRS and is likly even with less channels to therefore get better uninterfered reception

another nice thing is like FRS MURS does not require a licence

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
hi..

C2 bit of a mistake

both mobile and base allowed up to 50 watts erp

I know if we keep guessing, we will get it right, eventually...

95.135 Transmitter power limits.

(a) No station may transmit with more than 50 watts output power.

(b) [Reserved.]

(c) A small control station at a point north of Line A or east of Line C must transmit with no more than 5 watts ERP.

(d) A fixed station must transmit with no more than 15 watts output power.

(e) A small base station must transmit with no more than 5 watts ERP.

I believe a "fixed" station means something like a repeater.

http://www.provide.net/~prsg/part95ae.htm

What the hell is wrong with our freakin government anyway. Why the hell would I set up a "small" base station and not a "big" base station. Ef the bastids.

we have 16channels radios i will have to look at them when the wife gets home, but they work great for about 3 miles, flea markets and, on the way to work when we take separate cars. I was just curious. thanks for the info.

well,

even navigating FCC site s hard to tell wattage allowed on GMS

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=general_mobile

however it did not give us the answer to this question

it did say that typical wattage used is 1 to 5 watts (not what allowed wattage is)
also i had thought that all GMRS (except posibly base) was not allowed to be used with exturnal antenna.......
but according to what is on the link i gave,it is allowed to use exturnal antenna..

so in so looking for a half hour....i gave up and called FCC directly.....was funny in that...they also did not know.....so i gave them my quesions and they will call and email me within 2 days.....

so i guess till then...we will not be sure...
i will ofcourse let you know the results when i get them

Not that I'm an expert or anything but the Uniden GMR-1588 (FRS/GMRS, 12 watt??) 2 way radios are nice. Check them out here (use Google Checkout to knock $30 off the price). They are handy to have in the Jeep for emergencies or towing folks.

sorry to bust your bubble
any of those blister pack radios are barly worth talking about

like petey_racer showed are good..
as are Icom (a bit to pricy though)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.