• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fan Slows When Keying/Talking

gamegetter

Aug 25, 2010
Notice here recently my fan on my tnt 350hd slows when keyed/talking?

Any ideas and is this an easy fix I can do?

I've seen something similar happen due to RF feeding back into the amplifier. I'd check your layout, maybe reposition your amp. Also, installing ferrite chokes on power and microphone cables can help. It could also be that your supply voltage is sagging when you're transmitting.

Thats pretty much it, either your getting a drop in voltage or the fan is picking up stray RF. For years of X-Force product use I never had any problems, and that was with 6-8 different amplifiers. That said in the last 2 years I have even had the fan stop when the amp was keyed. I swapped the fan out for a higher quality fan and the problem went away. I have also heard of others having fan issues. I hope X-Force gets back on the ball with quality control.

I think I have to agree with the power source not being up to running the amplifier and fan at the same time. That's typically from using a barely adequate supply. It's fairly simple to filter/by-pass the fan if it's RF though.
- 'Doc

Need either more current or voltage or both....Check wire size, length of run, amount of voltage and current getting to the units compared to what they should require mathematically,try another fan, try common RFI/EMI filtering and shielding tactics!

i had some cheap fans and when amp keyed, the stopped. I put a piece of foil tape over bearing assembly and troubles went away. just needed a bit of sheilding

3-4 wraps on positive lead, a .01 or a .1 from positive negative. If that doesnt work, try the foil tape over the piece where wires go into bottom of fan. depending on location, sometimes those fans are only a 1" from output transformers and it needs the sheilding.

3-4 wraps on positive lead, a .01 or a .1 from positive negative. If that doesnt work, try the foil tape over the piece where wires go into bottom of fan. depending on location, sometimes those fans are only a 1" from output transformers and it needs the sheilding.

Yes. I take notice when the red fan lead touches or is very near the transformers, the fan will slow when keying. If all else is good (torriod wrap etc), just be careful when putting your amplifier cover back on and kinda push the fan lead (red fan wire) away from the transformers. It worked for me. Had a xforce amp.

Hope this helps.

thanks all, for an easy fix...

ok so first mine does have the toroid core for the fan leads, so i took the red lead wire which was a little long and tucked it back into the toroid core to make it shorter and keep it out of the way.

then cut a small round quarter size or so aluminum tape and put it on the back of the fan

all is well again
:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.