• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

fatboy 900 1x4

Oct 22, 2010
Southside of The Bluegrass State
I am trying to find a way to get the max out of my box. On the dosy meter it shows peak at 500 watts. I was told it should do more but have to put more than the voltage of a standard vehicle voltage into it. Is the motormaul the only way to do that? I am running a 150 amp alternator with it now. Any suggestions?

Is this a 2sc2290 x 4 2SC2879? Input power and voltage are going to bring up the output level but with a driver final you have to be careful and I wouldnt drive it with more than 20 watts SSB as far as AM 2-3 watts is what I would use as a maximum but some of the other AM users may be a better help.

I A a straight final user Ide rather drive with the radio and not worry about overdriving a driver final.

yellowjacket, if you are looking to get into the competition scene, then you can pretty much disregard what im about to type.

you have to look at it from the dollars to S-units ratio. as in, how much money/effort am i going to spend to gain a certain amount of S-units on my transmit signal.
remember that to gain 1 S-unit in someone's receiver, you have to quadruple your power output. if you havent heard that before, you may doubt it, but i assure you, its tried, true, proven and tested.
you can go here if you want to read more about why:
Adding a linear amplifier! How Much Will It Increase My Signal?

that being said, you have already gone from a 4 watt radio, to (im guessing here) about a 100-120 watt deadkey right?
(of course you should only be deadkeying about 1 watt into that amp, but more on that later)

going from a 4 watt deadkey (stock radio) to a 100 watt deadkey is about a 2.5 S-unit increase.

now, to get just one more S-unit out of that setup, you would have to run a 400 watt deadkey, which would mean swinging about 1600 watts at 100% modulation.
how much more money would it cost to get that extra S-unit?

if you are only talking about getting MAYBE 100-200 more watts out of that amp, you can see how this could be a big cash outlay for a barely noticeable increase.

right now you have a great setup with a 1x4 amp and a 150 amp alternator.

since that amp has a driver transistor, its very important to only deadkey 1 to 1.5 watts into that amp.
as for the swing, well thats up to you, but if it were my setup, i would be happy swinging up to about 10-12 watts PEP from that 1 watt deadkey.

that should give the amp all it can handle without killing it.

like i said, everyone has different goals and wallet sizes, so its up to you.
LC

a 1by4 should peak 800-900 watts with proper radio drive .theres something wrong .
your alt is plenty big enough .
try measuring the voltage at the box with it keyed and see what you have for voltage .
if its 13 volts or more your ok ,but that being said then the box has a issue .
check your radio drive .your radio should peak about 15-20 watts to get 800 peak or more out the amp .

if you can post inside pictures of the amp maybe we can see the problem .

try another meter also if possible .are you sure the meter is not in question>?

The meter is a brand new dosy. So I hope that's not it. I will post pis as soon as I can find time to unhook it and open the case. I am putting a one watt deadkey and swing up to 20 watts. This is the third fatboy I have ran and have gotten pretty close to 900 watts out of them. I have always ran an extra battery with them but I am not with this one. Could that be it?

The meter is a brand new dosy. So I hope that's not it. I will post pis as soon as I can find time to unhook it and open the case. I am putting a one watt deadkey and swing up to 20 watts. This is the third fatboy I have ran and have gotten pretty close to 900 watts out of them. I have always ran an extra battery with them but I am not with this one. Could that be it?

If you got 900 watts peak using a second battery and all of a sudden you don't use a second battery and are getting noticeably less, what do you think.

If you got 900 watts peak using a second battery and all of a sudden you don't use a second battery and are getting noticeably less, what do you think.

The battery will have no baring on the amps performance unless the battery has a open or shorted cell causing a ground issue and if it's good the alternator is carrying the current load to start with.

if you got 1000 watts out of it , how much farther do you think you could talk ?
and how often do you think 1000 watts will let you talk someplace that 500 watts wont ?

if you got 1000 watts out of it , how much farther do you think you could talk ?
and how often do you think 1000 watts will let you talk someplace that 500 watts wont ?

If you are talking skip 1/2 an s unit could make the difference between being heard and not being heard. In a mobile keydown contest, 1/2 an s unit is the difference between winning and losing.

well here is the thing, its a totally different box tham what I was using. Of course all i run is fatboy. Since the post I made some adjustments with my ground wire and am now getting the 800-900 watts I knew the box can do. I appreciate all the help.

well here is the thing, its a totally different box tham what I was using. Of course all i run is fatboy. Since the post I made some adjustments with my ground wire and am now getting the 800-900 watts I knew the box can do. I appreciate all the help.

800 watts Dosy with a 1x4 sounds correct.
900 watts Dosy with a 2x4 is about right.
1000 watts Dosy with a separate 2 pill amp and 4 pill amp is about right.
Ground is very important....you can never have too much grounding.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.