• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC Officially Releases Report and Order

From the R&O-

we should treat Morse code telegraphy as we do other communications techniques. In this connection, we note that our Rules do not require individuals to pass a practical examination to
demonstrate some degree of proficiency in non- telegraphy communications techniques. ....

we believe that because the international requirement for telegraphy proficiency has been eliminated, we should treat Morse code telegraphy no differently from other amateur service
communications techniques. ...

We also disagree that a Morse code proficiency testing requirement must be retained “to insure the
continued quality pool of amateur radio operators,” 54 or because the telegraphy examination “is the only part of the licensing procedure that cannot be simply memorized.” 55 The record is devoid of a
demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on- the- air conduct. As a result, we concur with the observation that “maintaining the code requirement does not purge amateur radio of bad operators.
Education and self- policing does.” 56 As noted in the record, the claim “that code requirements help eliminate “bad apples” from the radio hobby has not proven correct in the past and is not a viable
argument for the present, or future.”

40. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that Part 97 of the Commission's Rules IS AMENDED as specified in Appendix A, effective [30 days after publication in the Federal Register].

I my self am happy that they dropped the code. I am not a code person and that was the only thing that was keeping me from getting my General Class. I feel that it should not be a requirement but a addition to a hobby. Something you enjoy and want to further, for the pure joy of it. I have seen alot of upset people on other websites I need not mention and also alot of happy people, mostly CB or Free-Banders who wanted to get the ticket but didn't want to take the code. I hope they do but, I also fear as most that the CB mentality may carry over. Let's prove them wrong and be good operators.

I allready Passed the Code long ago, but I still think this is a good thing. I welcome more op`s on Ten meters. That band has been underused for a long time....and with all the ten Meter rigs out there, And converted CB`s, it should be easy to get on ten and have a blast when the band is open.

Jeff

It took long enough... :LOL:
30jk3l5.jpg
:LOL:

The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on- the- air conduct.

I've been saying that forever. There's even a question in the test pool about that, but for some reason so many people think it's going to hell without the code. Also by noting that they don't test for any other mode, they effectively used the same argument I've been using. There are probably threads around here still about that. I guess the FCC now actually exercised some reason and logic for a change.

I concur the code really did not have to do with the RF theory as much as it was learning an effective mode of operation. I like the code, but I hardly ever use the mode. I would personally like to see more efforts in the area of RF, electrical, grounding safety classes that go along with the license process, or just have these course available (much like the weather spotting classes). Sometimes a hands-on course is much better than a question pool scenario. Most generally, we take a written course and an actual driving course before holding a drivers license. Could you imagine anyone obtaining a Journeyman license without ever having worked hands-on with any electrical devices?

I learned the code to obtain my General Class license and I enjoyed the challenge of learning code. If people want something, they will work for the privilege.

Did the code keep many from the hobby? I say probably not as many as you would think.

Will I enjoy having more folks on 10 meters? Yes, of course I will enjoy having more folks available to operate on the often silent 10 meter band.

Does this mean Amateur Radio has gone to the dogs? I say no not at all. In fact, it would be interesting to do an actual comparison study of radio operation from other countries that have dropped the code well before the US has. Bad habits are often eliminated after the proper training. Ethics are often instilled by proper leadership and the movement towards Excellency.

Yes I think the test should be more "In depth" than they are. As far as classes,a local club that is worth anything at all should be doing this already. The small club here has some type of class or demo etc about every other month usually at the monthly meetings. As far as the code keeping folks away from the hobby, Naaaah not many at all. Lets see.... just here in the small county I live in there are probably 25 besides me that will be getting together and upgrading. That will probably double the number of general class and higher in the county! As far as learning the code, It wasn't about if you know it or not, You had to be able to copy it. Knowing it and being able to copy it are two very different things.I studied it for a couple of years before I even got my tech license. A total of over 5 years. I know it. I can pound out 40+wpm and hardly skip a beat but I can't copy it. The way the test was, has kept me away. I think there are many many hams that will upgrade. It may be a while before you hear a lot of them on the air until they have the HF equipment. Me, all I need to do now is wire up a mic for the TS-850. I never needed one/couldn't use one before (I went 100% legal when I got licensed) I just put up a 160m loop in the trees for all bands for now until I get the rest installed. I have a fold over (NOT tilt over)Rohn tower, 400ft of new 7/8" hardline and all connectors, Transco RF relays, M2 Orion 2800 rotor, Ameritron ATR30 tuner, Heathkit amp etc. etc. that has been waiting patiently. As soon as I have the papers in my hands I will be on the air with a /AG or maybe even a /AE :D

Dude you are lying to yourself and us if you say you can send 40wpm and not copy 5 wpm... It just takes lots of practice time and patience. I just got my upgraded ticket today. I was a temporary AG for exactly 3 days. Took the test on Saturday and fcc updated on Tuesday. I started learning the code in early November and worked hard at it even though i found out when everyone else did that it was being dropped from requirements. After learning the code i treated myself to an ft-890. Im in the process of procurring all the parts and pieces to put up an antenna. Of course I have everything i need to get on the air including my leftover sb-200 and L4-B... ;)
I will be looking for you guys on HF... L8ter
P.S. my CSCE showing Elements 1 and 3 passed is getting framed... I'm glad its over, and on to EXTRA

The R&O states that is effective 30 days after it has been listed in the Federal Register.

40. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that Part 97 of the Commission's Rules IS AMENDED as specified in Appendix A, effective [30 days after publication in the Federal Register].

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.